Part 6

Irene got home the same time Krel got to the Halls' place with the blanket and axolotl.

"Perfect timing!" Irene said from behind the door approaching the child who made a quiet, "EH-" noise.

He spun around with a sigh. "Irene-"

They were cut off by the sound of faint, harsh coughing from Cara's partially open balcony door.

Irene's sunken eyes seemed to sink a gray-blue at the sound, Krel wincing at it.

"That does NOT sound good..." Krel said quietly.

"It's getting worse," Irene said. "I've been hearing her gag a bit after the bad fits the last few days."

Krel frowned a bit, hearing Aiden and Jordan talking from inside, and handing Irene the gifts," I should go."

"... I'm sorry, Krel," Irene said quietly.

"Have they said anything new about it?" Krel asked quietly, "At all?"

Irene shook her head, "Not that I know of... Do want me to get you a ride home?"

"It's all right. I'm not far," Krel said, glancing up at the window.

"Alright... I'll see you soon- and thank you for this, I think she'll like it," Irene smiled.

Krel smiled weakly back, more out of courtesy than anything.

Irene nodded a little before going inside.

Krel turned to go, and Cara had another coughing fit- even worse than the last, and he thought he could hear the gagging this time.

It took all his willpower not to turn around and fight his way in.

"Come on, Krel, you have to walk away," he whispered, clenching his fists by his sides.

A moment later, someone had closed Cara's windows and the balcony door.

Krel walked away.