Burning Bushes

Natsu's POV

For the love of god.

The date I planned beforehand was backfiring on me. What the hell hit my hand?! I wanted to bang my head on a wall and forget all of my problems before I remembered the main purpose of the date. I slouched my shoulders and walked behind Aoi, to my discontent, instead of intertwining my fingers with her's.

Aoi was mad. I didn't blame her, but seriously, WHAT THE HELL HIT MY HAND? Whatever it was, it had ruined the mood and I cursed it to the end of eternity. Oh, but the worst part was yet to come. I looked down at the ground as the two of us trudged to the shops, an obvious frown on my face.

A-A-A-Aoi?!' a familiar voice stuttered all of a sudden breaking the silence. I glanced up and my jaw hit the ground when I realised it was Gray, standing there gawking at Aoi.

'Gray? What are you doing here?' Aoi asked, equally surprised as I was. I narrowed my eyes at him.

Yes, life. Please make things worse, go right ahead.

'I was just heading to town to eat...' Gray whispered, turning redder each moment. I could tell that he was making goo-goo eyes at Aoi. My Aoi. Beautiful, strong, phenomenal Aoi. And like hell I was letting it slide.

'Ahem,' I said, clearing my throat. Gray broke out of his trance and looked as if he had just noticed my existence.

'Natsu?' he questioned, his soft and fluffy tone instantly vanishing once he realised I was there.

'What are you doing here punk?' I grumbled. Aoi turned and looked sharply at me, knowing well that I was going to start an argument. Gray gritted his teeth and was about to retaliate before he stopped, sighed, and somehow managed to hold back from fighting back.

'Nevermind, I'm going,' Gray muttered, stuffing his hands into his jacket pockets and walking away. That caught me by surprise. The Gray I knew would always fight back. What has happened to humanity? Aoi waved goodbye to him whilst I just glared him off. We both turned around again and Aoi sighed.

'Natsu, that was childish of you,' Aoi said, as if she was exhausted. Pow. That hit a nerve.

But it was my fault anyway, so I tried to apologise. 'Well, sorry,' I said sarcastically. The both of us stood there, eyeing each other in silence.

Yeah. Nice one brain. That was a great help. 'Natsu,' she said in a warning voice. I wanted to step back, find a hole and bury myself in it. Her expression was cloudy. I stayed still and waited for her to lecture me and call off the whole date.

'Sorry,' Aoi said, looking down.

...

What?

I simply stared at her shocked and confused. Did she just apologise? 'Harh?' I said stupidly, furrowing my brows. Aoi shifted under my gaze.

'I just--I sorta let my feelings go overboard. You're not at fault, I'm just exaggerating,' Aoi said, looking up at my face. Her expression was so sincere and for some reason, I wanted to hug her on the spot.

'What? But you did nothing wrong--I'm the one who--,' I started, until Aoi shooshed me with her finger.

'Let's just leave this conversation for another day and enjoy the date,' Aoi said, her warm smile appearing in what seemed like a million years. I gaped at her, before I nodded. The atmosphere was warm and comfortable again. I grinned back, and held my hand out to her one again. She reached out and at the very moment when our hands were clasped, a nanosecond later, a rock hit our hands and I accidently scratched Aoi's palm.