The Winning Team - Bonus

N E S S A

"Playoff games get a little...you know. Are you sure you're up for coming?"

I narrowed my eyes at my insufferable—but admittedly lovable—husband.

"No, I don't actually know, Grayson."

He sighed. "Rowdy. They get rowdy, Adler. And you're carrying precious cargo." Walking past me in the kitchen, Grayson stopped to kiss the top of my head and smooth his hand over my belly, which had grown rounder significantly in the last few weeks.

I did not roll my eyes. I wanted to, but I did not.

I'd been really trying lately.

"You underestimate me, Grayson. You think I can't hold my own against a bunch of rival fans?"

His steely eyes grew sharper. "It's my exact worry that you would try to. And while you're very capable—"

Well, that emphasis was laying it on a little thick, so I cut in.

"Do you really think that Bren will let anyone shove me around in the stands? Not to mention Beau and Julian. And the girls, too. Your moms?" I went on. "I wouldn't want to get into a fight with Lillian. I bet she'd swear everyone out in French and then throw a few punches."

Grayson sighed, and I spun to wrap my arms around him.

"Relax, baby," I said softly. "I'm going to be surrounded by all our friends. And we have our own little section in the stands, where we usually sit. It might be a playoff game, but everything will be fine."

Grayson grumbled beneath his breath, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"I would have thought you'd be mad if I didn't go."

"Of course I want you to be there, but I also have a very strong urge to stick you in a plastic bubble until this baby is born. I think I impregnated you with some clumsiness because you've tripped up the stairs like five times in the last month."

Frowning, I went to slap his arm, and he caught my hand, our fingers tangling together as he threw me a smile.

Which quickly faded to a frown when he realized he still hadn't won this conversation.

"It will be too loud for the baby," Grayson tried. "Dr. Martinez said that loud noises aren't good—"

"I know you love her, but Dr. Martinez is not an OBGYN. And yes, loud noises aren't good for the baby, but only if I were going to a football game every day. Like as my full-time job. But I'm not, because that's your job. My doctor said that this was just fine."

"It isn't like you can't watch the game from home," Grayson said, cockiness sliding into his expression as he tried a different angle. "It is televised for the whole country to see."

"Don't remind me," I grumbled, turning around to fill up a glass of water.

A rumbling laugh. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Spinning to face him again, I took a long sip, studying Grayson over the rim of my water glass as I attempted to determine if he was teasing me or if he knew. Finally, I gave in. "Do you know how many memes I've seen about you?"

Grayson leaned on the countertop with a smile. "Good ones, I hope. They better feature the left side of my face."

"I don't like sharing you with the internet," I said, poking him in his chest.

"You're not sharing me with anyone," he replied, leaning down to brush a kiss against my lips. "I'm all yours, darling."

"And the baby's," I added.