The Rundown: Bren POV - Bonus

B R E N

I was more than aware that football boy wasn't my biggest fan.

I suppose it was because I'd pushed his buttons one too many times, but it had been necessary. Well, at first. Not so much the last few times, but I'll admit I got a bit of a kick out of it.

I was leery of anyone who spent a lot of time with Quinton Reid, and that included pretty much the entire OSU football team. And while I never once got the same vibes from Everett here as I did from Madie's ex, I was still cautious.

Some men were better at hiding how much of an asshole they were, and my philosophy was that you couldn't be too careful.

Nessa was one of my best friends. She was one of the people I trusted most in the world, and I knew she felt the same about me. I would hate to betray that trust by not looking out for her like I'd look out for Madie or Caroline. She might not be my girl in the way Grayson clearly meant it, but she was still one of the girls I considered mine to look out for, to watch over.

I knew Grayson didn't want to share Nessa, not any part of her, just like I didn't want to share Madie. But at the same time, I'd trust Beau with Madie's life in a heartbeat. One day Grayson would realize that he could trust me, too.

"Are you glad you took those summer credits?" Madie asked Nessa, tipping her head to the side in a way I knew meant Nessa had her full attention. I loved when she did that.

Nessa's eyes landed briefly on Grayson, and I could tell there was something more to that look than we'd ever know.

She nodded. "Yeah. I'm..." She paused and cleared her throat. "I'm thinking about taking more music courses this year. I really liked it."

Madie's entire expression brightened. "That's amazing."

While Madie was busy giving Nessa all her attention, I watched Grayson. Pride had washed over his expression at the mention of Nessa's music aspirations, which reassured me.

I was pretty positive he was a good one.

"I have to go to the bathroom," Madie muttered a few minutes later, nudging me so I'd let her slide out of the booth.

But we were in a crowded college bar on a Saturday night. Like hell was I going to let Madie walk to the bathroom by herself. Not after what had happened in LA.

I stood, gave Madie my hand to help her out, and then held onto it as she led the way to the back of the bar. When she realized I was following, she scowled over her shoulder.

"You don't have to come with me," she chided.

"Yes, I do," I insisted, wondering how she could even argue. How was she not as traumatized as I was?

Madie stopped just outside the bathroom, turning to face me with tenderness in her eyes.

"At some point, we have to let go of the idea that danger is around every corner, Bren." She put a hand to my face, cupping my cheek softly. I damn near melted at the simple touch. "They're in prison. They both are."

"It doesn't mean there aren't more guys like them out there."

"I know." She grimaced at the thought. "But we have to find a balance. Between caution and obsession."

I lowered my voice. "Are you telling me I can't be obsessed with you anymore? Because that's not going to happen."

That pulled a wispy laugh out of Madie. God, I loved that sound.

"That's not what I meant, and you know it."

"I know," I sighed. "I'm working on it," I added more solemnly.