Chapter 17

Before leaving Becky gives me directions to the Hammon house. It happens to be just up the road, and in a small town like this, walking alone late at night apparently is no big deal. I walk by Dawson's truck on the way. It's one of many parked all along the main dirt road. The Hammon's live on land like Wren but on a much smaller scale. There are no horse stables or pig pen's. Just a few stray cats chasing chickens around the small, yellow patch of grass in the front yard.
    I'm assuming they operate heavy machinery because there are tractors of all shapes and sizes parked in a huddle to the side yard. Some of them have tires taller than me. There's even one with a chopper machine attachment to the front... like the one in scary movies when people accidentally get run over and chopped to death by. I will be staying as far away from that as possible.
    Now that I'm here approaching the front door, a wave of self doubt passes over me. It's not a feeling I'm used to and most definitely is not a good look. Especially with this outfit choice. Which may or may not be the source of said self doubt. I originally threw on some cut off shorts, a red tank top and converse, but after hating the outfit in the mirror I realized this is the last time I'm going to see these people. It's my last opportunity to go out with a bang, to show off the true city girl that's been oppressed since the second I arrived in Vernon. I decided: no, not anymore.
    I changed into a tight, hot pink two piece set. A mini skirt and open front tank top that ties in the front right in the middle of my boobs. Dawson will appreciate the easy access later tonight. I topped the look off with messy curls, shiny lips, and of course... matching booties. This is your typical party attire in New York, which means here in Texas, I'll stand out amongst the checkered flannels and cowboy boots. I'm just so sick of being in shit.
    After giving myself a once over the doubt is replaced with self assurance, giving me just enough of a confidence boost to give the show no one is expecting. Only problem is when I go in, I'm not met by a crowd... there's no one. Oh shit. Do I have the wrong address?
    "Who the hell are you?"
    I whip around to find a little boy, probably around twelve years old, staring at me from the hallway. "Uh... Is this Beau's house?"
    "Sure is. Parties out back, if you're wonderin'."
    "Thanks..." I head out the door as fast as I can. That was the most awkward exchange ever.
    I follow the side of the house and start to walk around aimlessly for a few minutes until I notice music coming from the barn at the very back of the land. When I look hard enough I see people going in and out. I don't know how I didn't notice before but the party is definitely over there. Smart because it would be hard for cops to find, but not good for my shoes.
    No one even turns after I have to use every muscle in my body to slide open the barn door with a bang. They're too busy egging on the keg stand contest going down right in the middle of the barn. Country music blasts, beer bongs are going, and there are too many boots to count line dancing in front of the entrance. I have no idea how I will find Dawson, and not the slightest clue where to start looking.
I walk straight through the wobbly dancers. They twist and turn and bump shoulders with me along the way as if I'm interested in joining them. I don't know the first thing about country dancing, or two stepping, or whatever it is they're trying to do. If they turned on some EDM like avicii or Illenium I would be out there with my arms up throwing it back... but I would look ridiculous doing that right now.
Focus, Lexi.
    Find Dawson.
    "Hey, you!" Someone grabs my arm and yanks me into their beer breath. It takes me a second to realize it's Beau. Thank god. "I thought Dawson said you weren't comin'?"
    "Do you know where he is?"
    "Haven't seen him for a while, I had'ta piss."
    "Fascinating... I'm going to keep looking-"
    "You could look 'n the loft. Want me'ta show ya?"
    I let Beau lead me through the back of the crowd to a ladder attached to the wall. There's an opening to another floor. He gestures for me to go but with a skirt this tiny I insist I go after him. When we get to the top floor it's a lot moodier. Doors are pushed open to the outside, allowing for a couple to hang their feet over the edge. The music still seeps through the floorboards but you can actually hear what everyone is saying. We pass a group smoking from a hookah casually. I make note to stay away from them just in case it's not actually hookah they're smoking.
    "Maybe over here?" Beau passes under a threshold to the back corner where a bunch of people are sitting around on hay bails and random stools or chairs. "Ah shit. Look who we found here."
    I rush forward thinking he's referring to Dawson but stop short when I realize it's Ali and her evil side kicks. The three of them turn to Beau with excited party faces but the second they notice me with him they turn sour. Devious scowls frown every aspect of their expressions.
    "Welp, it's not him..." Beau looks between me and the girls as if he just walked right in the middle of a shoot out. "I'm gonna go look for Dawson downstairs." He leaves without knowing he's practically throwing me to the wolves.
    "What are you doin' here?" Ali spits with distaste.
    In the haste of wanting to see Dawson I forgot to prepare myself mentally for the chance of running into her first. I'm caught off guard... my usual wit isn't coming to me as fast... I don't feel a fuel to my fire or one ounce of strength to bite back. I think the conversation I had with Mom and my looming departure have shot my senses. It's the last thing I want to do but admitting defeat and letting Ali have the last word might be the best way to get out of this.
    "I don't want to fight, Ali."
    Her head throws back in a cackle. "Since when does the loud mouthed, shit blubbering, city girl have nothin' to say? Huh?"
    My shrug is weak. "I just want to find Dawson."
    "Well, well. He actually just left us." She looks to her friends. "Ain't that right girls."
    "Sure did." Lyla crushes her canned beer. "He was havin' a blast too. Didn't seem to be missin' the likes'a you."
    "I wouldn't blame him, with a get up like that I'd be runnin' for the hills too!" Jessica causes a laugh attack to spread between her and Lyla.
    Ali stands up and walks to me. I can tell she's drunk. "I know it's your last night and all."
    I do not like the way she's coming on to me. I need to suck it the fuck up before she thinks she has the upper hand. She wants to fight? I'll give her one... I'll have to muster everything I have in order to do so, but bring it on, Alabama. I clear my throat to say, "I didn't know you were paying such close attention to me. What ever will you do when I'm gone?"
    She smirks in a rueful way. "You want to know what I'm gonna do when you're gone? I'm glad you asked 'cause I've been givin' some thought to this."
    "I feel so special-"
    "First, I'm gonna get rid of any sign you ever existed in that house. I'll convince Wren to let me turn your old room into a den."
    "It's been 10 years and he still has the original wallpaper. He would never."
    "He will after I cry to him and my mama about all the terrible things you tried to make me do while you were here. Drugs, pills, weed, drinking... you name it. You offered."
My heart rate picks up simultaneously. "He'll never believe you."
    She shrugs as she hasn't a care in the world. "I guess we'll find out, won't we?"
    "You good over here?" Lyla and Jessica flank behind the serpent queen.
    "We're peachy. I'm just tellin' Lexi here everythin' I'm gonna do to erase her from existence once she's gone."
    "Ooo, I want to know," Lyla evil eyes me, as she knows the plan already but wants to see me hear it out loud.
    "I'll skip to the good part, how does that sound?"
    "I don't know how many times I need to tell you this but nothing you say can hurt me." I need to bring out the big guns for this. "You will never surmount to anything more than this, ever. You'll be stuck in this town with nothing more than a high school level education for the rest of your life. You can't touch me."
    She steps in my face so fast I almost flinch. "You want to know what I'll have that you can't touch? The one thing you'll never have that will only be a mere arms length from lil ol' illiterate me?"
    I know exactly what she's going to say and I don't have a comeback for it. The sunken feeling registers on my face before I can push down these emotions threatening to explode out of me. It may be in the form of tears, screams, name calling... or my fists. Either way it's coming.
    "That's right. I don't even have to say his name. But he will be mine, one way or another." She takes advantage of my weak moment. "Awh... look girls. She's cryin'!"
    They laugh as I catch my fallen my tear with a harsh swipe.
    "Dawson Priest will be stuck in this same town with the same high school education level and on the look out for someone to wife up and have his babies within' the next few years. I'll be there every step of the way. It will be me who gets to enjoy that pretty mouth of his on my body as I fuck him to sleep every-"
    It's the fist that explodes out of me, hitting Ali square in the jaw. I've never punched someone before so it's just as shocking to me as it is for them.
    Lyla and Jessica gasp, catching Ali in the process of her falling. Blood drips from her nose as they try to help her clean it up but Ali clearly has other motives as she pushes out of their arms and presses her hands into my shoulders with all her might.
    I go flying back, slamming into one of the wooden pillars extending to the roof. She grabs my hair, making me wish I would have worn it back, and yanks so hard I have no choice but to follow with a scream. I reach up and claw her so hard she yells just as loud and is forced to let go. She examines her wounds as I breathe roughly across the room.
"You fuckin' bitch!" Lyla comes charging at me next. I have no doubts she will hurt me worse than Ali but I will at least put up the best fight I can.
She pushes me hard until my back is against the barn wall. I have to hold my arms up in order to block her punch. The only weapon I have are my heels so I kick her as hard as I can in the chins, causing her to screech back in pain. Ali is right up on me though. She grabs my arms and I grab hers and we twist and turn in circles, pulling and prying at the other.
    Just as I see Jessica hurling herself at me, my body is lifted away from the fight. I wiggle against Lyla as much as I can until I realize Lyla is being wrangled by her brother.
    "Lexi! It's me!" Dawson sets me down and holds me still. I look up at him angrier then I've ever been. But not at him. At these girls. At this town. And these people. Mom was right... I will never be accepted here. I will never fit in. "What the hell is goin' on?" He examines me. "Did they hurt you?"
    "She hit me!" Ali screams from Beau's hold. Lyla and Jessica are sulking behind them, but Ali won't stop. "Dawson! Look at what she did."
    He glances over his shoulder with no response before taking me in. "Are you okay?"
    "Please, Dawson!" she continues, "she's crazy."
    My voice is barely audible as I deny her claims with, "I didn't... she was saying... I didn't mean to..." But I can't form a sentence. I'm mad. I'm hurt. I'm angry... I'm sad because she's right about it all. These baby blues and strong hands will forget about me and fall for her act as soon as I'm gone.
    "Come on." Dawson pulls me to the ladder.
    I'm numb as I follow him. Adrenaline bounces around my nervous system, blocking everything out. I don't even remember how we got outside. Everything that just went down is a mega blur, as if my brain is trying to fuzz out the details for my own sake.
"Lexi..." Dawson takes my face in his hands as he bores his worried gaze into my cold one. "Can you hear me?"
I nod, but barely. I'm too busy breaking into the most dramatic sob I've cried in a while. It's long over due for too many reasons but right now, it's mainly for the boy standing in front of me. And for the truth ringing in my ears from what Ali said.
I press myself into Dawson's chest, gripping at his shirt as if I'm about to be ripped away. Which I am, so soon. I'm embarrassed when people walk out of the barn and ask if I'm okay but I can't stop. Waves of sorrow rack my body. I keep my face buried in his shoulder even after he picks me up and carries me away until there's no more music, no more people, no more party and no more Ali. He sits somewhere far away and rocks me until I can breathe again.
    "I'm sorry," I whisper.
    "You didn't do nothin'."
    "I hit her."
    "She probably deserved it."
    My chest aches at how right he is. "You should've heard her..."
    "You wanna talk about it?"
    I would rather fight one on one with Lyla again than tell him what she said. My biggest fear is her wildest dream coming true and I don't want to be the one to plant the seed. Plus, I can't talk about them being together out loud. "Not really."
    "Let me see your face." He directs me to sit next to him, tilting my chin around. "Looks like you put up a good fight."
    I teach for my scalp, groaning at the tender spot. "My head says otherwise."
    "I'm sorry I didn't get there sooner."
    "It's not your fault. You didn't know I was coming."
    "I am happy to see ya, but, I thought you weren't riskin' it?"
    "I wanted to see you because it's almost our last night... now I feel stupid."
    "Don't. I shouldn't have come in the first place. I belong next to you." Not for long... "Hey." He turns my head to face him. "I belong next to you."
"Even when we're 5,000 miles apart?" I whimper.
He presses his forehead to mine and sucks in a deep, unwavering breath. "Even then."
"Dawson!" We both look behind us at Beau storming up. "You guys gotta go."
"Why?" Dawson stands at the urgent tone of his friends voice. Beau waves us over. We stand up and start to follow him back toward the house. Dawson holds my hand tight. Beau is being dodgy at why he's insisting we leave.
    "You gonna tell me what's goin' on? Beau?"
    "All I know is you need'a get her outta here pronto."
    Dawson clamps his hand on Beau's shoulder hard enough to make him turn around. "If you're my friend you'll tell me what the hell is wrong-"
    Red and blue lights and sirens cut him off as several cop cars pull onto the property.
    "Ali called the cops," Beau confesses too little too late.
    Suddenly I'm flashing back to being arrested.
    The back pack full of drugs.
    The cold metal of the handcuffs.
    The back seat of the cop car.
I'll be tried and judged again only this time it will be permanent. This time I really am at fault. Not for possession or underaged drinking but for assault. Ali said she would get me back, and calling the cops while I'm in no position to be here is her way of doing that.
She officially wins.
Everyone in plain sight scatters. Cops run after who they can and soon the party inside the enclosed barn will be crashed and we'll all be in trouble.
"Come on." Dawson pulls hard at my hand. "We need to get you outta here."
"Dawson no. We can't run. We'll be in even more trouble."
"If you stay..." His eyes tell me everything he fears.
"You two!" A cop points at us to stop. "I need'a see your ID's." He gets close to Dawson's face. "Have either'a you been drinkin' tonight?"
"She hasn't done anythin' wrong. Let her go and take me."
"Miss? You been drinkin'?"
I shake my head. I know better than to give them more to use when they figure out who I am and take me in.
"ID's. Now."
"Come on, we already told you-"
The cop's impatient authority grabs Dawson's arm and twists him around. Handcuffs are slapped on his wrists.
Oh no. "Dawson!" I yell with a panic.
He grimaces from the strained position the cop has him in. "It's okay, just go."
"You're not goin' anywhere young lady." He throws Dawson to a sitting position on the ground. "And if you don't show ID in the next few seconds you'll both be brought into the station."
"He didn't do anything! Just let him go. It's me-"
"Lexi, don't," Dawson begs.
"It's me you're here for, not him." I refuse to let him take the fall for any of this. If I hadn't gotten in a fight with Ali everything would be fine and the cops never would have been called.
My arm is grabbed so tight I whimper from the pain. Dawson stands but is threatened with the baton the cop whips from the side of his belt. I've never seen Dawson angry, but right now he looks like he would risk it all to protect me.
The cop glowers. "You don't sit your ass back down this instant I'll make sure you get charged with more than you can handle in prison."
"Sir." A younger cop walks up with Ali and Lyla. "This one here is the one who called it in."
The cop pushes my shoulder until I'm sitting next to Dawson, who is watching the whole scene intently. "Young lady, what is your name?"
Ali steps forward, not intimidated by the least. "I called because I was assaulted." She points an accusatory finger at me. "By her."
"Is that true?" he asks.
"Yes but she started it-"
"No, you started it!"
"Now listen here!" The cop cuts us off. "I need straight forward answers so we can handle this and figure out the repercussions." He looks at me. "Did you assault this young lady?"
"She assaulted me too."
He looks at Ali. "Did you assault this young lady."
"She didn't do nothin', sir!" Lyla says, "I was there 'n saw the whole thang. She hurt both'a us."
"So you were involved?"
Little does Lyla know she just gave herself up. "Yes sir. But she hit first."
"Cuff 'em." The older cop instructs the officer. "All of 'em."
Soon everyone who didn't get away fast enough is sat in one long line. Names and addresses and ID's are checked for what feels like forever. When they figure out it's Lyla's and Beau's house they settle for them calling their parents who are out of town at a tractor auction. The few others get written up for MIC's. Dawson doesn't blow high on the breathalyzer so they allow him to go.
"I'll get your dad, don't worry," he says before sprinting to his truck.
"Who's your dad?" The cop asks. "Says here you're not from 'round here." He examines my ID further. "Hunter? You're Wren's kid?"
"Yeah."
He hangs his head low. "Well, shit."
"He's with my mom," Ali pipes in.
"The two'a you's are sisters?"
In unison we argue, "We're not sisters." We glare at eachother right after.
"And you's was the two fightin'?"
"She hit me!" Ali exclaims.
"You me back-"
"Alright that's enough!" The cop gives me back my ID. "The two'a ya stand up." We oblige. "Get in the cab. I'm takin' ya'll home."
I stand with apprehension. "You're not arresting us?"
"I owe your daddy a favor. Now get in 'fore one'a these young pups start askin' more questions."
If I wasn't already cried out for the night I would burst into tears of joy.
I'm not getting arrested.
He's not arresting us.
I'm not getting arrested.
A while other set of emotions crawls up my back when I see Wren dressed and standing sturdy on the porch steps. Dawson is nowhere to be found. Becky is huddled in the rocking chair.
"Stay here," the cop warns.
"Oh shit," Ali mumbles.
I silently agree... oh shit is right. Wren discusses with the cop before they shake hands and we're directed out of the car.
"Thank Howie," Wren stares us down. "I'll take it from here."
We file behind the adults, getting led into the dining room. All four of us sit at far ends of the table. It's dead silent for seconds, then minutes.
"This is all your fault, ya know," Ali has the balls to speak first. There's no way I'm going to let her pin this on me.
"Me? You're the one who can't keep your mouth shut. You're lucky it's me and not someone who could actually hurt you."
"You didn't have'ta hit me!"
"Are you kidding?!" I twist in the sit so we're facing each other head on. "You threatened me! You literally told me you were going to convince Wren and Becky that I offered you drugs when I left!"
"No I didn't."
I stutter, "W-what? Are you really going to lie right now?"
"I didn't say nothin' of the sorts."
I throw my hands up in defeat and sit back into the chair. "I can't. I don't even know what to say."
"Enough," Wren's voice cuts through my heart. He's angry. "Alabama, did Lexi offer you drugs?"
"She's lying!"
"I said enough!" He slashes my gut this time.
"Yes she did."
"What was it she offered?"
"Uh... pills."
His eyebrows raise. "Is that true, Lexi?"
"No." I level my gaze with all the seriousness I can possibly show through a look alone. This can't be happening. Is he really going to believe her over me? Take her side and kick me to the curb? He isn't even going to ask my side of it?
"What kind'a pills?"
She's thrown off by the question. "I don't know, why don't you ask her?"
"When did this happen?"
"I don't know, uh... a few days ago."
"What day?"
"Like Monday- no Tuesday!"
Wren leans forward with his hands clumped into a ball infront of him. "So you claim she offered you pills of the kind of you don't know of on this last Tuesday?"
"Yes, sir."
"You're a bullshit liar, Alabama."
Her face drops. "I'm not lyin'. Why are you question in' me you should be askin' her! 'Sides the drugs she hit me tonight! See?!" She points out the dried blood in her nostril. "She attacked me and my friends!"
"Alabama," Becky sighs, "I was with Lexi all day Tuesday. We were in the garden. Wren woke her up in the mornin', she came straight to me, then Wren was with her and Dawson out at the stables the rest'a the day until nightfall."
"Well... then... it was Monday!" Ali retorts.
"Oh, Ali... I didn't raise you'ta be a liar."
"What's this about the fight?" Wren changes the subject.
"She-"
"Not you," he death glares Ali, "It's Lexi's turn to speak." He looks at me. "Did you hit her?"
"Yes."
"Why?"
"Because she threatened me. She told me she was going to 'erase me from existence' when I leave. Turn you guys against me... take what should be mine... take him..." I feel ashamed admitting this out loud but even I can see this is no situation to be withholding information from. "I shouldn't have done it, I know. But I'm not sorry. Her and her friends have made everything here miserable and they've turned me into someone I don't want to be."
Ali scoffs, "Comin' from the girl who said 'takes one to know one'."
"Ali-"
"It's true! She's been just as nasty toward me since the day she arrived. She came in and screwed it all up. What did you expect, mama?"
"For you to behave yourself like the good girl I raised you to be. I expected you to be honest with me and lead by a god worthy explain. None of these actions'a yours are acceptable."
    "And what about her? Why isn't she gettin' yelled at?"
    "I don't speak for Lexi. I'm not her mama. Now go to your room. We'll talk 'bout those consequences'a yours in the mornin' at a decent hour. And leave your phone on the table."
    Ali groans with spite and throws her phone down before literally stomping up the stairs. I flinch at the noise she makes from slamming the door.
    "I'm sorry..." I wipe a fallen tear. "I'm sorry I came here and ruined everything for you guys. I should have just stayed home and-"
    "You regret comin' here?" Wren asks with tired eyes.
    "No. I'm so glad I came. I just wish it didn't have to end like this."
    "That's alright. We'll deal with it in the mornin'."
    "What... did you say to Dawson?"
    He sighs. "That boy is a good man. Howie said he wasn't even drinkin'. Said he stood up for you and tried takin' the blame."
    "I know..."
    "I told him to come back tomorrow. He's got the day of'ta see you out proper."
    I never expected Wren to have this big of a heart. "Thank you."
    "Alright now, get on upstairs."