二十五 (Twenty-Five)

(Elle's POV)

Ten days.

That's how long it's been since I've seen or spoke to Koan.

Doc says he's doing okay. Says no one is bothering him and he's been labeled as the 'lone wolf'. He goes to see Doc twice a day for his vitals so that gives me some peace of mind. Doc says he hardly says a word to him. Most of the time he just says my name and then Doc lets him know how I'm doing.

Damien?

He told me that he had possibly found something, but he needed to dig a little further before he said anything. That was four days ago and I haven't heard from him since. No one has and that worries me.

Without him...we've got nothing and no legal way to get them out. The...illegal way is a last resort. Izumi has spoken to Kintaro on the phone once, but they couldn't really plan anything for that scenario since it's a recorded call. The FBI has prohibited any of them from having visitors so we can't go see them.

It's all been emotionally and physically draining.

Colten is the same. He has been staying at the house with me lately. He's worried about Renzo, who we agreed is too much of man-child to be in prison.

I think dad is having the hardest time out of everyone.

He's still grieving over mom. We all are, but him more so. We're also his kids and so he's trying to be there for us however he can, but I know it's difficult. We all do. Some of Kintaro's men whom he's become friends with over the last few months have been going to check on him and inviting him to dinner. He goes sometimes, but he'd rather stay home.

His police buddies also check on him...except those who are aware of his...affiliation with the Kazuya's.

Most of the police world knows that the FBI arrested them for the bombings. The rest of the world does not. They're keeping it tightly under wraps and that raises some questions from me.

"Elle," Colten said, gently shaking my leg.

"Yeah?"

"Izumi wants us to come over."

"Oh...okay. Give me a minute."

I got up off the bed as he left and walked over to the closet. I pulled out one of Koans hoodies and pulled it on. I've mostly been wearing his clothes and using his body wash and stuff too. It all gives me a little piece of comfort.

Izumi hugged us both as we walked in and offered us some tea. We found dad and some others already in the living room.

"Damien is on his way." Izumi said, taking a seat across from us.

"What?" I asked, peeking up.

"He called minutes ago and urgently requested that we all be here. He sounded...slightly troubled."

"He didn't say anything else?"

"No."

Ten agonizing minutes went by before the door opened and Damien came rushing inside.

"Was starting to worry about me." I admitted.

"Been in this business a while now, I can handle myself." He winked, laying his briefcase on the coffee table.

"What did you find?" I asked.

"Them."

"Them?" Colten asked.

"The ones actually responsible for the bombings."

"Who are they? How'd you'd find them?"

"Wasn't easy, but I've got the evidence to back it up."

"Who?" I asked through gritted teeth.

Of course before he could answer a man came running inside.

"The...TV...t-turn it o-on." He panted. "Now!"

Colten grabbed the remote, turned the TV on, and I instantly felt like everything around me had turned to dust.

"-a riot broke out and the inmates quickly gained control. Our sources have confirmed that at least twenty inmates and a dozen officers are confirmed dead, over thirty inmates and a few officer are injured, and others are missing. Sources say that-"

The lady continued speaking the camera then showed the prison and almost half of it was on fire. The part that gutted me the most was that I recognized one part on fire as being where the infirmary was located.

"Firefighters are desperately trying to get the blaze under control. As you can see some parts have been completely engulfed in the flames while others parts have been reduced to ashes."

~~~~~A Few Hours Earlier~~~~~
(Koan's POV)

I grabbed my things and headed for the showers, knowing they'd be empty by now. Unlike what they show on TV, the showers are in one big space. They are individually sectioned off so you have some privacy.

Like usual, Malik stood guard outside the bathroom while I showered. He's been doing that since I first saw Doc when Elle was here. Says he wiggled it into being a necessity for my safety regarding my CIP. I didn't argue or question him. I didn't care to.

I was washing my hair when I heard the bathroom door open and then the shower beside mine turn on seconds later. I tensed up and balled my hands in fists, preparing for anything.

What I couldn't have prepared for was what actually happened next.

"Kaito Inoue? Creative idea. Not so much a creative name though."

I stayed silent.

"The shit I had to do to get in here..." he trailed off with a chuckle.

"Why?" I growled out.

"Why? Did you really just ask that?"

I quickly finished my shower and got out, wrapping my towel around my waist. I beelined for my clothes, but was stopped when a hand roughly grabbed my wrist.

Instantly my mind went to that day in the gym locker room and I acted on instinct. I ripped my wrist free and threw a hard punch.

Masaki held his hands up in defense as he stood before me completely nude with blood now trailing from the corner of his mouth.

"Fair enough."

"Doing here?" I growled out.

"Trying to save your ass."

I scoffed.

He winked as he gave me a sly smirk and spoke. "Told you I went to prison, never told you where though."

~~~~~~~~
A/N:

You didn't think Masaki was gone did you? 😉😉

-B.