Chapter 8 - Under The Night Sky

Merlin's POV

I walked down the corridors of the castle. I had just finished delivering a potion to one of the Knights and was heading back to Gaius's chambers. That's when I ran into Gwaine.

"Merlin!" He called happily, "wanna head to the tavern with me? You've seen down lately."

I sighed. "No thanks."

I attempted to rush past him but he managed to grab my arm and pull me back. "Merlin. What's going on? You and Arthur have both been acting strangely for the past week. You don't smile anymore, Arthur doesn't leave his room. Merlin, what happened between you two."

"Nothing. Nothing happened at all. Now leave me alone please." I yanked my arm from his grip and dashed down the hall.

-----

I burst into Gaius's chambers. The old man looked at me with worry before I stormed into my room and shut the door.

I slumped down on my bed, crying into my pillow. Why couldn't Arthur understand? Why couldn't he accept magic? I love him and he loves me. It would have been perfect. Now...I'm not even sure he likes me.

-----

Gwaine's POV

I hated seeing Merlin all depressed. I'm so accustomed to seeing him cheerful that I almost forgot that he had troubles in his life as well. I watched him run off down the corridor. I could see him wiping his face with his sleeve. He was crying.

What happened to him? He was fine when we found him in that cell. As a matter of fact he looked even happier then usual then. So did Arthur. Finally, the pieces clicked into place. Arthur loves Merlin. Perhaps he had finally confessed to Merlin and it didn't turn out well. Yes. That must be it. That would explain why they were avoiding each other as well.

I storm off towards Arthur's chambers. I WILL get those two together even if it's the last thing I do.

-----

I burst through Arthur's chamber doors. He looked towards me when he heard the sudden noise. He was clearly irritated that I entered without asking. He walked towards me angrily. "Get out." He said, pointing to the door.

"Not until you tell me what is going on." I answer without my usual joking tone.

"No. Now leave. Kings orders."

"I don't care that you are King Of Camelot. I want to talk to you as a friend, an equal."

He sighed and slumped into the dining room chair. I locked the door and pulled a chair up for myself to sit. I turned and looked him in the eye. I saw a jumble of emotions within him. Heartbreak, fear, anger, sadness, guilt, and a dozen more. He was a mess.

"So what happened between you and Merlin?" I asked.

He looked at me, meeting my gaze. "Nothing."

"Stop with the lies Arthur. You confessed to Merlin didn't you?"

He nodded.

"Did he reject you?"

He shook his head.

"Then why are you so depressed? That means he loves you too right? I thought you would be jumping for joy!"

"There's more to it."

"What more is there?"

"...It's not my place to say."

"Arthur, do you want this to be fixed or not? Do you never want to speak to Merlin ever again? Do you never want to see him smile or laugh?"