Chapter 1

A few days later, Genesis packed a few boxes into her car and drove to collect her grandmother's stuff in the attic. As she arrived at the house, her mother was waiting at the front door. The house wasn't too big. It was a dull grayish blue color, and there were two windows at the front of the house. In between the windows was a white door with a tiny window covered by a curtain. The roof was dark gray and stood over the front door. Supporting the roof were two pillars on each side of the house. They connected the roof to the porch, which was a dark chocolate color. A white fence stood around the house with green bushes in the front. The rest of the outside view of the house was not visible because vines had climbed their way up from the ground. Grandmother had always refused to cut them. Genesis walked up to the door and greeted her mother. "Please be quick, I have an appointment with a doctor in half an hour, ok?" Genesis's mother asked while opening the door. Genesis walked through the house and into the hallway towards the attic entrance. As she walked through, she studied the remains of the house. All the furniture was gone; the carpet was ripped from the floor, and the smell of her grandmother was gone. A black substance had covered all the windows, refusing to let the sunlight in.
        Genesis pulled down the attic door and climbed up the stairs into the darkness. She pulled out her phone and turned on the flashlight. Genesis looked around, but only found two boxes. "The will made it sound like her attic was loaded. If there are only two boxes, why would grandma tell me to stay out?" Genesis thought while opening the first box. Inside the box was a stack of four dusty old books. She wiped them off and opened the first book. Genesis raised her eyebrow and cocked her head. The writing in the book didn't look like any writing she has seen before. It was a combination of squares inside of circles and lines running in and out of each shape. Dots were scattered in each page. She picked up the other books and they all had the same scripture. Genesis put them back in the box and opened the other box. This box was more difficult to open. It was an ordinary cardboard box, but somebody had taken a big amount of tape and covered the whole box. After about 20 minutes, Genesis had finally taken off all the tape. As she lifted up the flap, she closed instantly.
"What if it's something I don't want to see? Why would someone tape it up like this? Is there something in there that is too horrible even for grandmother to lock away? But she didn't lock it up. If she wanted to hide this so bad, why wouldn't she just throw it away?" Genesis argued with herself until she finally opened the box. She laughed at herself as she reached inside to pull out a light pink flag. It was about fourteen inches wide and nine inches tall. It was wool, and multicolored marigolds covered the upper left corner and a few smaller ones were scattered around the flag. Genesis put it back in the box, picked up both boxes, and climbed down the stairs. She dropped the boxes off in her car and came back to the front door.
"Mama, what do you plan on doing with the house?"
She asked while approaching her mother. Her mother turned around, her black hair that reached her waist whipping Genesis, and said
"I think I might sell it or rent it out. Remember, when you talk to your siblings, don't tell them about the will, alright?"
Genesis's mother reached out and patted her on the head. She fixed her light blue shirt, took the house key out of her black leather purse and locked the house. Genesis waved her mother goodbye and drove away.