Chapter Six

I walked backwards until I felt my back against the door. "Wh-what? How is that possible? Doesn't a werewolf have to bite a person to become one?"

The wolf made an odd barking sound. I'm pretty sure that was its way of chuckling. That is just a mere fairy tale, human. So, would you like me to help you or not? To help you turn back, I mean.

I tried to focus, but I couldn't. This was all so sudden... me? A werewolf? I looked down at my hands. I could almost laugh. Almost. Either way, I nodded.

Good. Now, what I want you to- he paused and his ears pricked the air.

What's wrong? I looked around.

Listen. Don't forget, you are part wolf. We have very good hearing.

So, I strained my ears. I heard a flick! and a series of footsteps. Moments after, a light went on in my house. I heart filled with dread. My sister. She must have woken up from all the commotion. The wolf growled softly. Quickly! Listen carefully. Meet me again tomorrow in the woods when the moon is full. Just remember: Your time is limited.

Why would I trust you in the woods after what happened last time! But, wait... my time is... what? I turned back to him, but he was gone. The back door clicked open. I whipped around. Chesney was standing at the doorway, and she didn't look happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

After about two hours of arguing with my sister, I only could get in a few hours of sleep until I had to just wake up again. But that wasn't all that was bothering me. "Your time is limited..." the wolf's words still echoed in my head. What did he mean by that? Whatever it is, it musn't be good.

I got prepared for school, and even though I got zero sleep, I made it perfectly on time. I waited impatiently in all my classes, hardly paying attention. After school, I had finally decided the best thing to do is go talk to that wolf. It was foolish, but who else could I turn to for my problem?

Once I told Dallas, he wasn't happy. "You... Why... What?" He mumbled. He ran his hand through his hair. "You realize how stupid that is, right? Remember what happened last time? You got mauled."

"Yes, but it won't happen again. " I looked him in the eyes. " You saw what happened when I threw that football. I'm practically superhuman. A wolf isn't going to stop me now. "

I turned to leave, but Dallas grabbed my shoulder. "Dude, I can't let you do this. You can't be so sure of yourself. You gotta think! I don't want to wake up the next day with my best friend teared to shreds in the woods!"

Now I was impatient. "If you won't let me go... I will have to leave by force. You don't want that, do you?" I frowned, and a growl emerged from my throat. Dallas looked at me, dumbfounded.

"You're not actually saying you'll fight me, do ya?" He stared at me hard, then let me go. "Fine. Whatever. Just consider all that I said." with that, he walked off in the opposite direction. I watched him for a while, but something struck me. I called to him, and he looked back.

"I'm at your house studying, okay? " He stopped, then nodded at me. I smiled at him. Even in the roughest times, Dallas is the best friend you could ever have.

When I reached the trees, I went the same way I went the other night until at last, I reached the grassy clearing. I sat on the bench next to the massive tree. I texted my sister to say I was at Dallas' house. When I finished, I jammed my phone in my pocket and looked up at the sky. The sun was just starting to set. Sighing, I layed down on the bench and slept. I had no idea what I was in for, but I hoped that it wouldn't be like last time.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up to see that the moon was out, and realized the wolf was right. The moon was full, and it was really pretty. I shivered, but I wasn't cold. I looked around and was almost scared to death as I came face to face with that wolf. I stumbled back. "Geez, personal space! Were... Were you watching me while I was sleeping?"

The wolf's nostrils flared. Only for a little while. Then you woke up.

Oh. I forgot I could speak with my mind now. I walked back to the bench and sat down, still wary. Uh... Okay then. So... why did you want to meet here? What did you mean when you said my time was limited?

Oh, yes. That. He curled up on the ground. Well... You said you didn't want to stay a werewolf forever, am I correct? I nodded vigorously. Very well. As I said before, however, your time is indeed limited.

I cooked my head, confused. He studied me a bit before continuing. Well... I see you haven't changed. Well, nevermind. As a werewolf, when they are bitten, have a limited time to return to a human once again.

EHH? Why didn't you say that earlier?! I jumped to me feet. Well, what do I have to do? I would miss being strong and all, but I'd prefer sticking to my normal self...

Okay... but before I explain, I will wait until your transformation is complete. I followed his gaze to the stars. The moon was directly over our heads. It seemed to be brighter than usual.

You aren't making any sense! Transformation? I am so confused! I- I stopped short and my hands shot up to my head. It throbbed violently, making me moan in pain. The wolf merely watched as I suffered. I dropped to my knees. Something horrible was happening to me. I yelled out as my skin began to stretch to fit my rapidly growing body. Arrrghh! I felt a bunch on fuzz brushing against me all over me arms and legs. My teeth seemed to be being ripped out as they stretched over my chin. My eyes were shut tight. I was for sure I would faint from the pain. But all of a sudden, it all stopped. I suddenly seemed to regain my strength, except I felt even more powerful than before. I slowly opened my eyes and got to my feet. The wolf was there next to me, except he looked much smaller than when I first saw him. He had an odd look on his face... could it have been pride?

Congratulations, it murmured. You have successfully transformed into a werewolf.