Chapter Three

I'm in a bare field, not a tree in sight. Confused, I stumbled to my feet. Hearing a growl, I whip around. The wolf. Those hazel eyes... they burn into mine. His fur is now black instead of gray. I call for help, but there isn't another person or thing in sight. I face the wolf, eyes wide with fear. It lunges at me. I scream. I can't move, I can't move! A sharp pain stabs into my upper arm...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Agh!"

I bolted off of the ground. My eyes darted around wildly. I saw trees. I was where I collapsed, next to the big dirt wall, except now it was daytime instead of night. Am I dead? I wonder. I shook myself. No, I don't think so. Otherwise, I think I wouldn't be here. I slowly got to my feet. "Ow," I muttered. I was sore all over. But that didn't really matter right now. What mattered is that I spent the night in the woods and my sister would kill me if she found out. Especially from the wolf incident.

Once I made my way out of the woods (which took a incredibly long amount of time) and made my way down the path and back to the school. I had not a clue what time it was, but what I did know that thankfully, it was the weekend. I decided to cover up my absence to my sister by saying I had spent the night at Dallas' house. I would just have to tell Dallas before I confronted Chesney first.

I got to my best friend's house after a while of walking. I jumped up the steps and raised my arm to ring the doorbell. But I paused. I could hear something. It sounded kind of like a dripping noise...

I looked down at my feet. There was blood on the ground. Shocked, I looked at my arm, suspecting it to be the source. I was completely horrified at what I saw. On my arm was a huge gash. I poked at it and moaned in pain as it began to sting and throb like no tomorrow. I inspected it closed and realized that the gash was made from... a set of teeth?

Oh, no.

I grimaced. What now? That wolf probably bit me, like it was in that dream I had or something. I probably would get rabies, or an infection, or worse. But the terrible thing was; how was I supposed to tell my sister or even Dallas? I rolled my eyes.

Perfect.

If I kept waiting for long, I could probably hurt myself from losing all if this blood. I decided to act quick. I snuck around to my house and to the back door. I jiggled the door knob. Locked. Good thing I knew where we kept the spare keys. I knelt down and fished around under the floor mat until my hand came up with a small, silver key. I placed it into the door's keyhole until I heard a click! I put the keys back and ever so slowly opened the door. It emitted small creaking sounds of protest as I slipped through and gently pushed it closed.

So far, so good. I grinned, pleased. Everything was going according to plan. I snuck into the kitchen and snaked my way through the hallway until I came to the bathroom. With one small stride I had made my way into the bathroom and locked the door.

Satisfied, I turned to the mirror. Now, to deal with this cut... I grabbed a tissue and got it wet. I dabbed at my gash and whimpered quietly. GOSH, did that hurt. I took some white medical cloth and wrapped it around my arm. Okay, now all I need is a sweatshirt to cover it up. I was about to make my way to my room when I heard someone mutter, "Blade?"

I drew in a sharp breath. Chesney. I guess she woke up. "Uh, yeah, it's me, Chesney." I closed the door and locked it again. If my sister saw me, she'd go crazy. I heard a yawn and she said grumpily, "Blade, where were you last night? Not getting into any trouble I hope."

"Um, I was over at Dallas' house. We were... working. On homework. We got a lot for the weekend. " I held my breath. Silence.

"Kay, fine by me, I guess." I sighed with relief as I heard her hobble off into the living room. I got out of the bathroom and into my room without any more trouble. I got out of my old clothes and but on a new outfit, as well as a sweatshirt. Looking at myself in my mirror, I head Chesney shout something. I looked out my door. "Chesney, is everything all right?"

Apparently not. I her her pounding across the house and into my room. "Oh my god!" she yelped. "It... It's everywhere!"

I looked at her curiously. "What's everywhere?"

It was too late to save her. My sister had gone into full out freak out mode. "There's a TRAIL OF BLOOD, and it... it's leading to the bathroom!"

Crap. It's too late. I looked down the hallway and saw a small trail of blood- my blood- leading down the hallway and into the bathroom. I gulped as I slowly turned back to my sister. She crossed her arms. "Well?"

I sighed. It's over. I might as well give myself up. I slowly lifted my sleeve to reveal the fluffy cloth (which was already red) and showed it to her. Her eyes widened first with worry, then fury. "What. Did. You. Do." she jabbed my chest.

Of course I wasn't going to tell her the full truth. Nope. "Dallas and I were trying to climb a tree, but I slipped and fell, and I cut myself on a branch." I looked at her innocently. "It was a mistake, honest."

She glared at me for a while and I thought she didn't buy it. Right when I was about to say something, she turned away. "Be more careful next time. You're on thin ice, Ambers."

I passed a hand over my face. That was closer than close. I sat down on my bed.

Yeah. Thin ice.