Chapter Five

I shut my eyes tight and tried to relax, but not matter what I tried, I couldn't. It was the middle of the night. I had been woken up by a searing pain on my arm. My scar. I tossed and turned, sweat running down my face. Man, was it hot. I kicked my blankets off my bed and still couldn't get comfortable. I stumbled out of bed. I need to get outside.

Since nights here are always cold, I crept to the back door, still cradling my arm, and went outside.

I took a huge breath of fresh air. Relaxing, but it still didn't help my suffering. I dropped to my knees and let out a whimper. It kind of sounded more like a crying dog than anything. I pressed my face against the cold earth, and I heard a growl. I looked up. The wolf. Again. I sighed, disgusted. "What do you want from me?!" I spat at it. "Haven't you done enough to me?"

I quickly jumped to my feet and sprinted for the door. Just as I got a grip on the cool handle, someone shouted, Stop!

It sounded like it came from my head. Like, from the inside. I whipped around and screamed, "Who's there? Show yourself!"

Please, don't be alarmed, said the voice. I had forgotten about the wolf. It was pretty dark, so all I saw of it were its glowing eyes. It looked up at me and pricked its ears. I stood there, confused.

"Uh." I turned to face the wolf. Feeling silly and kind of frightened, I murmured, "Um... is that you?"

Yes.

My eyes widened. With fear or curiosity, I couldn't tell you. How is it... speaking to me? I scratched my head in wonder.

Through thought.

"Hey, don't read my mind! " I yelped. The wolf merely flicked its tail.

Thoughts. Speak through your thoughts, otherwise we may be caught.

" Oh- Okay. " I closed my eyes for concentration. Like... like this?

Yes, It answered. I couldn't tell, but I swear that thing grinned.

I shook my head. I just remembered that this creature had bitten me. Hey, what's the deal? I questioned angrily. Whats the big idea, biting me like that? What are you doing here, anyway?

Well, that is not very important right now. Anywho, I came here because I knew you would need me. It shook itself and sat down.

Need... you? What would I need you for?

For my help, of course.

I rolled my eyes to show my annoyance. So you thought it was a good idea to 'help' me by chasing me down and biting me?

It yawned. Well, I would have done it quickly and quietly, but you had ran away and made a big scene. Also, if I didn't bite you, we wouldn't have been able to communicate, anyway.

Why would you need to in the first place?

At this, the wolf got up and began to circle me slowly. I gulped. Because. You are... different. It sniffed me. The moment you reached our scent, we knew that something was odd about you.

Odd? I put my hands on my head. How so?

We don't really know. It never took its eyes off me. Allow me to explain... It was all a mistake, to be honest. When you first saw me in the woods with your little friend there, I had caught your scent for the first time. You smelled very strange. It was intimidating. I decided I would try to... eliminate you the first time I got the chance.

I glared at the wolf. Wow, how nice of you.

It continued, ignoring my comment. When you decided to take a walk in the forest, I knew this was my chance. When you were sleeping, I had tracked your smell with my other companions and found you when you were just beginning to stir. After our game of 'Chase the Dinner', and once you fell, we had thought you died from fear. So, I thought I would dig in. The wolf licked it's chops and bared its teeth. But, when I had bitten you, it was incredibly painful. It was as if I had felt your pain. There was so much power emitting from you I became afraid. I turned tail and ran. I knew the best thing was to return and speak to you... as well as give you a warning.

I cooked an eyebrow. A warning?

It blinked at me. Indeed. If you haven't noticed, already, I am bigger and stronger than my companions.

Yes? Your point being?

Well, that would mean I am the leader of my pack. Well, by leader of my 'pack', I mean every single wolf in this area. Also, I have bitten you. Looking me over, it said, I see you are still confused. Let me further explain... have you been experiencing strange physical or perhaps mental differences lately?

Remembering the game of catch in Dallas' yard and those weird dog noises, I nodded my head vigorously. That's what I thought. What I'm trying to say is... you now have my scent as well as yours. In other words, some of me is in you. It swished its tail. Which would mean, you are a part wolf , part human. Or what your kind says, a werewolf.