Chapter 6

"Denny, it's Chuck. Call me please? Getting a bit worried about ya." Charlie ends the call after leaving Dennis a voicemail. He promised to call her hours ago and she hasn't heard from him since. He's not at work so she can't imagine what's going on.

The next morning, she wakes up and checks her phone. No calls or texts from Den. She showers and dresses, then makes her way to his flat.

"Dennis!" She knocks on the door.

"Coming!" Kelly calls out.

The door opens and Charlie is looking down the walkway. "Have you seen-" she turns to face Kelly and freezes. "Bloody hell, Mrs. S. What happened?"

Kelly goes to touch her bruised and beaten face, but her fingers hover just over it. "Just fell. Bloody idiot I am. Did ya need something?"

"Stay here. I'll be right back." Charlie runs to her flat to grab her med kit and rushes back to Mrs. Severs. "Right. Sit down." Kelly does as she asks, seething as Charlie puts an alcohol wipe on her cut cheek. "What happened, Mrs. S?"

"I told you, Charlotte."

"Please don't lie to me. Dennis told me everything about the fire and Gog. Was it him?" Her silence was answer enough. "Does Dennis know?"

"No. I.. I haven't seen him since it happened."

Charlie freezes. "When was that?"

"Night before last. He was at work. I was out when he got home and he was gone when I got back."

"He was supposed to call me yesterday and I never heard from him. He's not been answering my calls."

As if on command, the door swings open and Dennis stumbles inside, holding his head. He shouldn't have gone out drinking with Gog last night.

"Dennis?" Kelly calls out.

Dennis rubs the sleep from his eyes and walks into the living room. His brows furrow. "Charlie?"

"Where have you been?" She questions.

He looks from her to his mum who musters up a smile. "Oh my god look at you!"

"Oh don't worry. I tripped over a bollard." She eyes Charlie, silently begging her to remain quiet. Charlie steps back, crossing her arms.

"Was it him? Was it Gog?"

"It don't matter."

"Did you go to the police?"

"Do I look daft? I do that, you don't think he's gonna drop you in it as well?"

He glances back at Charlie briefly. "Then I'll go down there. If I just come clean-"

"No." His mum interrupts. "I'm sorry. No."

"Mum I can't-" he shakes his head. "It ain't gonna stop. Not while he's got anything over me."

She puts her hands on his shoulders. "Throw your life away?"

"I'll plead guilty I'll get a short sentence-"

She grabs his cheeks so he'll meet her gaze. "Who is that helping? Whatever happened, it's done. We can't do anything to change that."

"