Chapter 5

"I'm just gonna step outside for a little ciggie." Kelly says as she leaves Dennis and Kev to talk.

"Is George Gog?" Kev asks. Dennis nods wordlessly. "Are you two mates?"

"When we was kids. Not anymore."

"Did you start that fire?" Kev asks through gritted teeth. "Tell me. Was it the two of you I saw?"

Panic rises in Dennis. "We were mates. Please go."

"Then why didn't you say you knew him?"

"I was trying to protect you! You start going after him, he'll come after you. And you don't want that. He's wrong in the head. The things he's done. I'm telling you, he don't care. He comes over all friendly but he's like an actor. I had nothing to do with him. Not since I joined the service."

Kelly listens to the interaction nervously and steps back inside. "I won't be a sec. I'll bring it through." She pretends she didn't hear anything and goes to grab the tea. She takes a deep breath, worried for her son, before putting on a smile and walking back out, handing Kev his cup of tea. "Here we are. You must get sick of us, Kev. Amount of times I see your trucks pulling up."

"Pumps, mum." Dennis corrects her.

"Oh excuse me! I love all that lingo. I do." She turns back to Dennis. "What was that one you were telling me the other night?"

"Hooligan tool." He says boredly, avoiding Kev's glare.

"Hooligan tool. That's it." Kelly pauses for a second. "Kev, can I ask?" Kev turns his attention towards her. "You was that man that tried to save Dan and Rosa's little kid, weren't you?"

Dennis looks at his mum with fear in his eyes.

"Uh yeah." Kev says uncomfortably.

"Yeah I heard that," she replies. "We missed all that, didn't we?" She looks at Dennis whose eyes are big as saucers. "We was lucky. Up visiting Den's dad in Yorkshire. Do you remember that B&B? What a horrible trip that was, do you remember it?" Dennis nods hesitantly. "I don't think it's too much to ask do you, Kev, for 60-pound a night, not to find someone else's pubic hair on your pillow?" Kev's brows furrow as he looks back at Dennis. "Anyways, come back Sunday night, we couldn't get over it, could we?" Dennis shakes his head, avoiding Kev's gaze.

Silence lingers for a minute. "Hooligan tool." Kelly says to herself. "Met a few of them in my time, I can tell ya. Married one actually." She sips her tea. Kev stares at her for a minute then starts laughing. "Oh you can come again. No one else laughs at my jokes."

Kev lets out a shaky breath and stands. "I'd best be going. Thank you very much, Mrs. Severs."

"Oh you're welcome. Drive safely won't you?" She follows him to the door, shutting it behind him.

Kev walks out and runs his face over his hands. Charlie is walking up and sees him. "Alright, Kev?"

He gives her a surprised look. "Oh. Hey Charlie." He hugs her tightly and pulls away. "Yeah alright just dropped in to visit Asbo. Good to see you." He brushes past her, leaving her in a state of confusion by his eagerness to get away.

She shakes her head and approaches the door to Dennis' flat. She's about to knock when she hears yelling inside.

"Did I just lie to that man?" Kelly asks her son. Dennis leans forward, covering his mouth with his hands. "Dennis Edward Severs, look at me. Did I just lie to that man?" Dennis nods and starts to cry. "I do not want George ever stepping foot in this flat again." She storms off to her room and Dennis pushes off out of the recliner and rushes outside.