Chapter 7

"Today was bloody miserable." Dennis says into the phone.

"What happened?" Charlie asks.

"This morning we were doing a training exercise and I dunno. I just lost it. I freaked out. Everyone was so mad. They said they couldn't trust me. Told Kev to kick me out."

"God Dennis. That's awful."

"Then we were out on a call. A teacher on a field trip had an allergic reaction. One of the girls ran into the church and me and Mal went in to find her. I thought I heard something down this tunnel so we went in there. Radios weren't working so we didn't know they had found her. Then the entrance collapsed. We had to keep walking. Ended up in the water overflow tank. Had to swim a ways to get out. Chuck, I honestly thought we were going to die."

"Holy Fuck. Are you okay now? You and Mal?"

"Yeah Yeah. We're fine. We got out and everyone was talking to me and cheering for me when Mal told them I saved his life. It was weird. Then Mal lost his mind. Everything with him and Kev and Trish, the group's been shutting him out. He got fed up."

"I get they feel they should be loyal to the Gov, but hasn't Mal been there just as long? Shouldn't they just let it be between the three of them? Keep it separate from work?"

"That's basically what Mal said. I dunno. I bought pastries and set it all up for everyone as an apology. They accepted it and invited me out for drinks."

"That's great, babe. You gonna go?"

"Yeah. Kev said they were so quick to want me out because I haven't built enough of a relationship with them. I know me and you go out with them, but when it's just me.. you know how I am."

"I know. And you can't blame them for not trusting ya when you're so secretive about everything."

"I know. I know. You going to work tonight?"

"Yeah, just about to leave."

"Have a good shift, love."

"Be good tonight," she teases, "I'll call you tomorrow."

Dennis goes out with the group and they really welcome him, with alcohol, a drag queen, the works.

"So what's been bothering ya, mate?" Little Al asks

"So what's been bothering ya, mate?" Little Al asks. "Is it money trouble?"

Dennis fidgets with his cup. "Nah, its just.. my mum got attacked in the flat."

"Shit. Is she alright?" Zig asks.

"Yeah yeah. I sort of took care of it."

"Fair play." Rob says. "So what's the problem?"

"Well I Uh.. saw the mate."

"It doesn't matter. Say that lot there laid a finger on my mother." He points at Little Al and Mince. "I'd be like this," he stands up and points at Al, "step outside. Like that." He sits back down and Al chuckles.