Chapter 2 - Bao

{Featuring me projecting some of my own experiences on these characters, Shen being the big brother character, Wu-peng being a goofball, Bao being a good sport, and Da-Xia making friends for once} 

Da-Xia leaned against the counter, drumming her fingers. There was no one in line and the streets felt sparse. What was up with that? 
"Hey, where is everyone?" she called out to the owner of the nearest stall, Nuan, who didn't seem as confused by the lack of customers. 
"We've got a troop of soldiers scheduled to come through here later today," she reported. "Lots of folks have decided not to shop so that the soldiers can come and restock on supplies." 
"Why is this the first time I'm hearing about it?" 
"Probably because you're just a poem parlor," the owner of the stall on the other side of her, Zhong, commented with a tone of disdain. 
Da-Xia glared at him. "What's that supposed to mean?" 
"You don't exactly sell wares one would consider 'provisions'," Zhong sniffed. "It's not like they're gonna be giving you much business." 
"Right, because you're going to get so many soldiers trying to buy jewelry," Da-Xia drawled, causing Nuan to snort. 
"Sure they will; lots of them probably have girls back home and they'll send them a gift." 
"Well, if they really wanna make her swoon, poems are where it's at," Da-Xia boasted. 

Despite this contentious interaction, Da-Xia's mood was significantly improved, and it didn't go unnoticed by Nuan. 
"Something certainly has you excited, and don't try and tell me you actually expect a bunch of soldiers to appreciate your poetry," Nuan commented after a few minutes. 
Da-Xia smirked. "I have a feeling I'll get business regardless of whether or not they actually appreciate my poetry; there's gotta be at least a few of them that are single." 
Nuan shook her head with a sigh. "You and your boys." 
"What do you mean 'my boys', I don't have any boys, that's why I'm looking forward to this." 

It wasn't too much longer before the soldiers began to show up. Trying to appear casual was difficult without much to do but sit around and wait, but Da-Xia had plenty of practice. 
The majority of the ones that visited her stall seemed around her age, but there were a couple older guys that she was careful to be strictly professional with. Even though the interactions were fairly positive for the most part, Da-Xia was aware that looking less mature than she actually was gave her a bit of a disadvantage. She tried not to let it get to her though, considering these were soldiers that would be leaving the next morning anyways. She'd probably never see any of them again. Besides, none of them were nearly as good looking in comparison to- 
"Does that sign say 'Monkey King approved'?!" 
Da-Xia's thoughts were grabbed by a group of three soldiers, one of them pointing excitedly at her sign while gripping the sleeve of another. The third just gazed at the sign in slight confusion. Well, might as well make the most of it. 
"Yes, it does," Da-Xia replied, flashing her signature sales smile in their direction. "He was a customer of mine awhile back!" 
The soldier with the ecstatic grin gasped, releasing the shirt of his friend and dashing over to her stall. "You met the Monkey King too?!" 
"Yes, that's what I just- hold on, did you say 'too'?" 
"Wu-peng, calm down, you're gonna freak her out," one of the soldiers scolded lightly, an amused grin on his face. 
"We trained with the Monkey King awhile back," Wu-peng informed her, ignoring the other soldier. "I'm Wu-peng, this is Shen, and that's Bao." 
"I'm Da-Xia," she introduced herself. "The Monkey King commissioned some poems from me that really boosted my popularity, and the sign helps draw in customers." 
Bao raised an eyebrow. "He never seemed the sort to like poetry. (Y/n) definitely would have liked them..." 
"You know his fiance too?" 
"Fiance?" 
"Yeah, Sun Wukong had me write the poems for his future wife, (y/n)." 
She received some mixed reactions; Shen's eyebrows shot up into his hairline, Wu-peng's mouth hung open, and Bao grew slightly pale. 
"Since when?!" 
"And she didn't write to tell us?!" 
"He didn't even bother to ask her older brothers for her hand?!" 
Da-Xia sighed and turned her 'open' sign around to say 'closed'. "Let's all go get a drink."