Chapter 1: Introduction

——————————🕯——————————

"Open your eyes."

A little boy with black curly hair, and circular glasses named Mateus was sitting on his Abuela's lap. He opened his little eyes and came face to face with a magical, glowing candle.

He let out a little gasp. "This is where our magic comes from?" He asked in awe.

"Mm-Hmm." His Abuela responded. "This candle holds the miracle given to our family."

"How did we get a miracle?" Mateus asked.

"Long ago, when my three babies had just been born, your Abuelo Pedro and I were forced to flee our home. And though many joined us, hoping to find a new home, we could not escape the dangers and your Abuelo was lost. But in our darkest moment, we were given a miracle. The candle became a magical flame that could never go out. And it blessed us with a refuge in which to live. A place of wonder."

"An Encanto!" Mateus said.

"An Encanto. The miracle grew. And our house, our casita itself came alive to shelter us. When my children came of age, the miracle blessed each with a magic Gift to help us. And when their children came of age..."

"They got magic too."

"That's right!" Abuela chuckled. "And together, our family's Gifts have made our new home a paradise. Tonight, this candle will give you your Gift, mi vida. Strengthen our community, strengthen our home. Make your family proud." Abuela tucked a loose curl behind Mateus's ear.

"Make my family proud." He recited.

Fireworks exploded in the distance, and Casita moved a clock along the floorboards to signal that it was time.

"Yes, yes, Casita, we're going!"

Mateus got off his Abuela's lap, and Casita moved Mateus's shoes in front of him so he could put them on. He then grabbed his Abuela's hand and helped her up.

"What do you think my Gift will be?" He asked.

"You are a wonder, Mateus Madrigal. Whatever Gift awaits, will be just as special as you."

...

Mateus was standing in front of a path that led to his special door. The crowd watched as he made his way down the aisle. As he was walking, he turned his head and spotted a little girl in the crowd. She had (h/l) (h/c) hair and beautiful (e/c) eyes. She shyly waved at him, and he blushed and gave her a small wave in return, and kept walking.

Mateus made it the top of the stairs, and faced a magical glowing door, that would reveal his gift. The small boy stood on his tip toes and placed his hand on the doorknob.

——————————🕯——————————