Chapter 9: Dinner Disaster

——————————🕯——————————

"The Guzmáns and the Madrigals together will be so good for the Encanto." Abuel said.

"Yes, then let's hope tonight is not a horrible disaster." Mariano's mother joked.

"To a perfect night!"

Mateus was staring Dolores down making sure she didn't say anything.

"Salud!" Everyone toasted.

Mateus kept staring at Dolores who whimpered in response. (Y/n) was sitting next to Mateus and looked between the two in confusion.

"Avocado?" Mariano passed a bowl in front of Mateus's face.

He moved the bowl away as quickly as possible, but Dolores was already whispering into Camilo's ear. Camilo coughed, and shifted into Mateus, then Bruno, then himself, but his eyes were wonky.

Abuela and Mariano's mother noticed this, and Abuela chuckled and poured more wine into her glass.

"Camilo. Fix your face." Félix told him.

He shook his head and looked at Mateus with concern.

Mateus tried to say something, but Isabela out a pitcher in front of his face.

"Water?"

Mateus moved the pitcher and saw Camilo passing the secret along to Félix who spit out his water in shock.

"Mateus." Abuela called. "The cream please."

"Pá, the cream?" Mateus said to his father.

Agustín chuckled and handed the cream to Mateus, who passed it to Isabela.

"Mateus, what is going on?" (Y/n) whispered to him.

"Uh...nothing, don't-don't worry about it."

Mateus then looked over and saw Félix whispering into Pepa's ear, while a storm cloud was forming above her head.

"Pepa, the cloud." Abuela pointed..

"Clear skies, clear skies, clear skies." She whispered to herself.

She then leaned over to Julieta and told her, and she looked over at her son with concern.

Mateus brought his gaze down and noticed the floor underneath him was starting to crack, and stuck his head underneath the table.

"Mateus." Mariano called.

Mateus hit his head as he came back up.

"Everything okay?"

"Everything's is great. He is just excited." Agustín reassured. "For you to propose. Which, uh, you should do. As fast as you can."

"Uh, I was actually gonna..."

"You we're actually gonna. Great!" Mateus cut in, spinning Isabela's chair to face Mariano.