Chapter 3: Preparation

——————————🕯——————————

(Y/n) entered the house, Mateus following right behind her carrying the basket.

"You sure you don't need any help?" She asked.

"No, I've got this. Don't worry." He reassured her.

Mateus ducked past people carrying instruments and accidentally backed into someone carrying a bench.

"Sorry. Excuse me." He apologized.

Casita built a new staircase that led up to Antonio's door.

"Lift it higher. Higher!" Abuela instructed to someone trying to hang a banner over the new door.

"Hey, nice job over there." Camilo commented.

"Yeah yeah."

"Camilo, we need another José!" Abuela said.

"José!" Camilo shifted into the man to hold up the other end of the banner.

Mateus shifted the basket to one arm, as he pulled out the flower from his bag. The petals were a little crumpled, and the stem was bent, but Mateus was going to go for it anyway.

"Uh...H-Hey, (Y/n)?" He stuttered.

"Yes, Mateus?" She replied.

"Um, I was wondering if maybe..."

"Luisa, the piano goes upstairs!" Abuela interrupted.

Luisa stopped the barrels she was holding. "I'm on it! Careful bro!" Luisa said, as she almost bumped into Mateus.

"Uh, anyway, what I wanted to say was...will..."

Suddenly, a gust of wind started blowing around the house. (Y/n) turned and saw that Pepa was stressing out and had created a tornado.

"My baby's night has to be perfect, and it's not perfect, and people are going to be coming. And nothing's ready." She ranted.

"Uh...would you...will you...!" Mateus called over the raging wind.

Her husband Félix was trying to protect the decorations from her storm.

"You're tornado-ing the flowers! The flowers!" He called to her.

"Did someone say flowers?" Isabela said from the railing.

Pepa stopped her tornado, and everyone looked up to see Isabela swing down from her vines, spreading flowers everywhere. (Y/n) watched in awe as everyone else cheered for her, except Mateus, who had a bored and fed up expression on his face.

"Our angel, our angel." Félix praised.

"Please, don't clap."

Isabela lowered herself into the floor and handed Pepa a bouquet of flowers, and made flowers appear in (Y/n)'s hair, and a large bouquet of flowers appear in her hands.

"Thanks, Isa. They're beautiful. I'm gonna go out them in water." (Y/n) rushed away.

Mateus scowled, and looked down at his bent flower in comparison to the dozens of beautiful, full flowers Isabela had given her, and threw it over his shoulder.

"Thank you." Pepa said.

"Oh, it's nothing." She replied, flipping her hair into Mateus's face, covering it with flowers.

"A little sisterly advice, if you weren't always trying too hard, you wouldn't be in the way. Then maybe (Y/n) wouldn't see you as a total loser and actually give you a chance." Isabela said, snootily.