Chapter-4

After that first day of school, things had been tiring. While he was able to excel in most of his classes, Japanese was a whole nother beast that he couldn't seem to get quite right. When he wasn't at school, he was figuring out things at Leblanc. Sojiro had him washing dishes currently. The man was right, he only got paid around 1,200 yen a day, but it was still more than enough for him to live off of thanks to the government's assistance with his necessities.

Currently, it was the 23rd of April, a full two weeks since his new life began. Akira had been astoundingly busy these past weeks. Even picked up a cat at some point. He would usually come home in the evening hours looking exhausted, but still offering a smile whenever he saw that he was working. The two would usually share a meal of curry and coffee before Night cleaned up for the night and left the gray-eyed boy to his own devices.

The school situation hadn't gotten much better, people wouldn't speak to Akira if they could help themselves, nobody wanted to even be around him, but that wasn't even the worst part...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Night was bored out of his mind. They were covering a subject in history he already knew about, so he really had nothing to do.

*Brrzt*

A sudden ping on his phone was more than enough distraction for him. He quietly pulled out his phone and saw he had a message from Akira and two from Makoto.

[Akira Kurusu]

Akira: If water is wet, how is the ice Dry?

Me: Y'know, I could turn around and elbow you in the nose. Probably break it with the gathered inertia.

He heard the snicker behind him and could feel the shit-eating grin without even laying eyes on it.

Akira: You wouldn't dare. You love me too much.

Me: Just for that comment I'll leap over this desk and show the school which one of us is really the delinquent. Now focus on Mr. Ushimaru, you suck at history.

Akira: Hey, I don't suck at history, you just pay WAY too much attention...

He was laughing too at this point, enjoying the reprieve from the boring class.

That's when everything shifted.

Suddenly, a kid jumped from his seat and began intensely staring at something outside. "Hey! What's that!"

Mr, Ushimaru turned toward the student, glaring at him. "Enough! This is a classroom!"

Another girl who was also looking outside the classroom had a horrified expression on her face. "Wait... She's going to jump!"

The boy with the band-aids on his face - his name was Mishima, as he'd found out - abruptly stood up and muttered something he couldn't make out.

Takamaki, the foreign blonde that sat in front of him stood up as well, seemingly panicking. "Shiho..." was all she muttered before running out of the classroom with the rest of the class.

Without a second glance Night and Akira stood up as well and rushed out of the classroom. Akira was at Takamaki'a side, his eyes locked on the girl who stood at the ledge of the rooftop.

Night's body reacted before he could, and he suddenly found himself clearing the stairs two at a time in a desperate attempt to reach the roof. His adrenaline fueling him as he cleared the two sets of stairs within seconds, making brief eye contact with Makoto as he cleared the third floor on his way to the roof. He violently rammed himself through the door, but once he was finally there, all he saw was a pair of shoes and a letter stuffed into one of them. She had jumped before he could make it.