Chapter 1: Sneaking Out

The rain was pouring immensely hard but she didn't mind. Mia liked the rain, it was comforting, like a child's blanket although it only comes occasionally. Which makes it all the better, in some ways. It popped and crackled when the droplets flew down from the gutter to the grass. It sounded like a fire, cackling at the movement of its surroundings. Or when her mom sautéed something in a large pan it does the same thing. But it was chilly water, not warm oil.

She cracked open the window slightly and tilted her head out. The rain had stopped except the occasional sprinkle or water running down from the roof. Abruptly Mia slipped on her rain boots and a coat, and tried to wiggle from between the window-seal and the top of it. Succeeding she slightly jumped up and down in a victory. Now came another dilemma, how to close the window so nobody would break in. It wasn't the best neighborhood thought Mia but not bad enough for somebody to break in. She hoped. As Mia pulled up her hood she rubbed against the cool mud.

Mia, in her mind was an explorer. For every person there was a story, every plant and animal, have something to say. But every day they go unnoticed, like a pea in a pot. For her every question had an answer and she was determined to hear and understand every story. And answer all her questions.

But being as wise as a nine year old could be she realized that would involve lots of exploring. Her favorite thing, from exploring books to new places it was the most fun and interesting for her. She was trotting towards the forest behind her house, it was the place she often searched, now that she knew no other place to go. There was an abandoned car she found if you went deep enough and a creek.

Mia swung around her flashlight dramatically, like the police she saw in movies. She had already memorized the way towards the creek but it helped at night when she sneaked out.

She had gotten her great sense of mystery and craving for answers from her father. He was on a ship. See he was a fisherman farther down south catching as many crabs and fish he possibly could.

Mia sat down on a comfortable-looking rock that was softened by a heaping of leaves. It was almost on the edge of the creek and had been weathered smooth. She dropped down her little purse and fell into a deep slumber. Mia hadn't slept in almost three days because she was sneaking out at night to draw pictures of the creek at night.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mia drowsily rose from the rock she had so soundly fell asleep on then yawned happily. She took her time to put her hair back in a bun and splash some water in her face. Mia's head rose from the water and she finally noticed that the sun was up, casually glancing at her wristwatch she noticed the time. 6:36! "Oh no" she said to herself. Brushing away some leafs she picked up the purse she always wore on the side and ran home.

It took her long enough but she made it to the house. Mia was just about to bust through her front door when she heard her mother "For God sakes! Where had that child gone off to?" Mia let out an extended sigh. She apparently had forgotten how early her mother wakes up everyday. Mia held her breath and busted through the door quickly, her mother was standing in the kitchen, pouring milk into a cup of coffee. "Mia! You just about gave me a heart attack! Where have you been?" her mom started.

Mia turned red; you could tell her mother wasn't happy with what she has done, once again. This wasn't the first time her mother had caught her mysteriously wondering out of the house.

"Well what happened is that...um well I-I could not go to sleep so I um brushed my hair and I sat on the window seal. Not knowing that it was open I dropped it out of the window. And since you just bro-brought me that I figured you would be mad so I went to get it" she lied. Her mother pulled her into her room, asking where exactly the brush was. Mia's story wasn't working, since the brush was later found in the bathroom.

Mia's mother looked around her daughter’s room. What exactly should she take away from her? She has no interest in T.V. or playing with friends. Maybe she should stop her from going outside. Ms. Smith (Mia's mother) certainly could not take books away, which would be ridiculous. Ms. Smith almost giggled to herself, what was she going to do with her?

Mia could tell what her mom was considering what to do. She wrapped her hands around her knees, staring out the window; she wanted to go back outside already. "Alright, Marina" let out her mother. She did not like it when she called her Marina, her real name. "I think the only thing I can do is take the privilege away of going outside by yourself". Mia's eyes widened, how could she take being in nature from her! Her dad would never do that.

"So you expect me to be cooped up in here! No way, its summer. I want to go outside!"

"Marina please......"

"Don't call me that!"

"Marina stop now! It’s only for two weeks. Unless you would like me to extend it?"

Mia glared at her mother. Too Mia, this was the worse punishment. She ran to her door and slammed it shut. She deiced to read, she wasn't going to go out of her room, and Mia certainly did not want to see her mother. Putting down her book, small wrinkles appeared on her forehead.

She suddenly realized everything was her mother’s fault. She was the one who made her father go on the boat. Abandoning him on that ship, not even telling them they were going to Maine! Her mother is the one who made her move from her home, the place she loved. She was the reason, her mother was the reason her life was going downhill.