Chapter 16: Toad Stools and Tricksers

Peering every which way, Mia decided it was time to come out from her hiding spot behind a tall tree near the fairy ring. Spanish moss had gotten stuck in her hair and she had finally managed to become free of the tree's vine-like companion.

 So dipped her foot inside the fairy ring, expecting to be sucked into a magical world of some sort. Yet nothing happened. Instead she went tumbling down and crashing into a soft patch of grass in the ring after losing concentration and balance.

Once she had finished composing herself she picked one mushroom. Nothing happened.

Another in her basket from Easter, still nothing.

With the pull of the third little mushroom Mia decided that nothing was going to happen so she commenced leaving.

"Aw, are little mushrooms are gone!" She heard somebody squeaked sadly

Just the voice made Mia melt; she instantly turned around to return it.

There sad, must give them mushrooms back.

Wait, I am on a mission. This so confusing. Should I do the right thing for me or them? They can always grow more mushrooms? But what if they are special, that's why I would need them, right?

Tangled in thought Mia sat on a tree that had fallen over and worked as a bridge over the Fish's creek. Forgetting that the fairies were still there she blinked and went back to reality.

One of the fairies approached her.

"Would you like to come have some tea?" A fairy with a mix or orange and yellow wings and flower as dress asked. The flying creature blinked her big orange eyes and Mia instantly knew the answer.

"Yes! Thank you!"

Suddenly Mia felt as if something sharp hit her stomach, wasn't there something to she was supposed to be careful about? It couldn't be the fairies, no they were too beautiful. And too innocent. She shook off the thought like a pestering fly and followed her new friend back to the circle.

"Mia, over here." Called a different fairy, one with blue wings.

 The fairies had gotten even smaller then they had been and were ducking into mushroom, which once she looked close enough she could see.

"How exactly am I supposed to fit in there?"

"One moment." Her orange colored-companion answered, but not really. She flew into the little door the mushroom provided and moments later arrived with much too small for Mia's fingers.

The fairy held it for her and poured it into her mouth.

After that, the world went black.

                                      *                                    *                                     *

Mia hadn't thought you could bump your head so bad on grass, but obviously you could. Instead of Mia shrinking slowly so her feet would end up on the ground it made immediate affect and she went tumbling down from her 4'6 position to about an inch.

Rubbing her head she walked slowly where the fairy was leaving a trail of moving air from her quickly moving wings. Slightly limping at this point she had finally made it to the door.

She peered inside.

Miraculous, simply magnificent.

Those were the only words that came to Mia's head. The little fairy world was not so little, but vast and looked straight from a fairy tale. The fairies whirled around the sky, which wasn't really the sky she was guessing. It looked like it was always sunset there, but the most beautiful kind. All the fairies either lived in mushrooms or flowers. The fairies that had warm colored wings lived in flowers, she noticed, and the ones with cool colored wings lived in toadstools.