Scene 17: The Road We Never Travelled

{ Scene 17: The Road We Never Travelled }

"C'mon man! We're going to lose her!"

His hand strained around the monster's neck, threatening to choke the life from his body as his swollen, reddened face sputtered curses at him. The guy had already been beaten to a pulp. Both the boys had a share in the bruises and blood that decorated his body.

From his fists and knees in the grass, Bakugo looked up to his friend. There was a drained look in Kirishima's eyes. His grasp reluctantly lessened. "I-I'm coming, just shut up!"

They sprinted down the neighborhood block, shoes grabbing the pavement beneath them in desperate strides. Lungs heaving, hearts pounding in their chests. Rounding the top of the hill, he saw a tiny silhouette stumbling ahead towards the bus stop.

"Where the hell is she going? What happened?!" he barked, turning to Kirishima.

"I-I don't know!" he cried back. "I thought she was escaping from that guy but, this is..."

Their confusion was interrupted by the rumble of the bus rolling over the hill.

"Oh...Shit! C'mon, we can't miss that bus!" Bakugo charged ahead, his hands blasting him down the street between strides.

Kirishima screamed your name, gaining the turn of your head. Bakugo latched on to the frantic look on your face.

"Stop! Get the hell back here you damn idiot!" he cried. "I'll kill you! You hear me? Goddamnit, STOP!"

Kirishima began to slow. "Wait, Bakugo–"

The bus pulled away. They hobbled down the rest of the hill in ragged breaths and wobbly limbs, collapsing at the bottom.

With hands on his knees, shoulders in his ears, Bakugo screamed curses into the ground. Kirishima watched the glowing red and orange lights of the bus as it drove down the rest of the street, turning at the corner. The wind rattled the trash bins lined along the curb. It rustled the leaves of the trees.

Sirens blared in the distance, their wailing calls drowning out the stirring night life.

"...I-I don't understand - why'd she just leave like that? Something's wrong. Bakugo we have to go after her."

But when he turned to Bakugo, the boy was crouched in sidewalk, his hands limp and eyes bearing endless holes into the ground.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Kirishima said, joining his side. He tried to find his face against the cascade of blonde spikes, but there were only shadows.

"This... This might've happened 'cause of me," he said.

"Huh? What are you talking about?"

Bakugo sighed, his shoulders heaving further into the sidewalk.

"I did something, okay? You weren't there. Actually - where the hell were you shitty hair? You just up and left us back at the house! It's all thanks to you that me and the stupid airhead ended up in that fucking closet!"

"Closet? Why were you guys in a closet together?"

But the moment the words left his mouth, Kirishima realized what it meant, and Bakugo realized what had slipped his tongue.

"I-it's not like that," Bakugo grumbled. "It was part of the reward for the stupid tournament."

Kirishima stood to his feet, finding his own space on the curb. He didn't say anything. The sirens grew louder in the distance.

"Look, I didn't ask to be paired with her. She volunteered 'cause you were upstairs fucking around," Bakugo said, filling the silence. "If you were there, none of this would've happened!