twenty-three.

Foreign Wars
chapter twenty-three.

Foreign Warschapter twenty-three

❨ 𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐨𝐟𝐟 ❩

❈ ──────────── ❈ 

𝐒𝐔𝐃𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐒𝐔𝐍𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐃 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓, 𝐂𝐀𝐔𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐊𝐀𝐈 𝐓𝐎 𝐉𝐄𝐑𝐊 𝐀𝐖𝐀𝐊𝐄. He held a hand out in front of his face to block some of the bright light, squinting his eyes with a soft groan.

"Come on, pup," Magnus mused, chipper with a new day. "Time to rise and face the day."

Kai's face scrunched in disdain. "'Pup'?" he grunted, his voice thick with leftover sleep.

"Panda?"

His face scrunched together even more. "No."

"Okay."

Kai groaned again, tossing his body around in the bed with his back to the window, as Magnus walked away. "Why's it so early?" he called after his boyfriend. He buried his face into a pillow and closed his eyes.

"Oh, with everything going on, sleep has been a bit of a struggle," Magnus explained. Kai heard footsteps approach the bed and he twisted his head over his shoulder to see what his boyfriend was up to. He saw him place a platter of food on the bed, and that was when he noticed that Magnus was dressed and ready for the day."

Why are you dressed?" he questioned.

"Oh, I had to get up to go to the farmer's market before dawn to get ingredients for our breakfast," Magnus answered. Kai grabbed a cinnamon roll from the plate on the platter, "which...admittedly, is less than perfect." Kai sniffed the cinnamon roll, noticing the lack of icing on top. "Do you know how many oranges are required to make a glass of juice?" He raised the glass of said orange juice and stared at it with brows furrowed in frustration. "More than I bought." Magnus sighed and Kai couldn't help but smile as he put the cinnamon roll back. "I used to have magic to do these all little errands, but I have to admit there is a certain charm to doing things the mundane way."

"Is today a special occasion?" Kai asked.

"It's your day off," Magnus answered with a grin, sitting beside Kai on the bed, "and I want to make the most of it." He slid the platter of breakfast closer to Kai and Kai chuckled. "With all that's going on with Leon...and all those fugitives all back in the Gard, I figured you could use a little bit of fun." Kai met Magnus' gaze, which had clouded with worry about his boyfriend.

"Mag — "

Magnus shook his head. "Things haven't been great the last few days. Everyone else has been worried about Leon acting reckless and pushing people away — "