twenty-seven

Foreign Wars
chapter twenty-seven.

Foreign Warschapter twenty-seven

❨ 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐦𝐞 ❩

❈ ──────────── ❈

𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐀 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐈𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐒 𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐑, 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐎𝐍 𝐑𝐎𝐓𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍. Just as she jumped out of her chair and grabbed her stethoscope, the paramedics rushed in with their gurney. The face she saw when they rolled passed her with another nurse made her stop in tracks. 

"Leon!"

She ran over to join the team already surrounding the young Shadowhunter. The paramedics had already listed off the information that they always give and Catarina knew it didn't look good for Leon. She couldn't use her magic in front of the mundanes and an initial scan of his gear belt with her eyes showed that he had no stele, so even if she could get him isolated and away from everyone, she couldn't help him with the stele, either.

Her first reaction was to help him, to save him, but there was a voice in the back of her head reminding her that she needed to call the Institute. Alec needed to know that Leon was at the hospital.

"With that weapon belt and the tattoos, this guy's gotta be in the Irish mafia." She could hear the police outside, but didn't see Luke among them. Wherever Leon was found, news of it hadn't reached the Shadowhunters or even Luke.  "Hit man maybe?"

The other cop chortled. "If he's a hit man, he's a pretty lousy one if someone did that much damage."

Catarina had to bite her tongue, but only refrained herself a little bit. "Okay, out," she barked at the officers. "We need room to get him to the OR."

The older cop, the one that called the Shadowhunter legacy a "lousy hit man", pointed a thick finger at Leon's unconscious form on the hospital bed. "We need to speak to him when he wakes up," he snapped.

She put a hand on her hip while the other nurses behind her started putting the machines on the bed and getting ready to wheel him away. "If he wakes up," she snapped back. "And that might not happen if you continue to stand in our way. So, move."

❈ ──────────── ❈

Alec's breath felt labored when a fourth phone call to Leon went unanswered. All day, he'd been worried about Leon. Kai couldn't find him still, but could they knew Leon was dying. Leon was out there, somewhere in New York, alone and dying. Not only that, but if he burst into flames and someone saw him come back to life again, that would not be good.