·24·

"Dinner Plans"

The Madrigal cousins groaned trying to stand up with the other two's help, earning a few scratches from the fall.

"Your glasses are pretty strong," Enrique says to Mirabel as she fixes them. "It's a survivor," She replies, smiling before dusting herself.

Camilo was still scowling at Enrique even as he stood up, getting a little too possessive over small and meaningless gestures.

"Camilo, your face has a scratch," Estella mentioned, placing a hand on his chin to turn his face sideward, getting a better look at the small flesh wound. The warmth of her touch already made his irritation melt away.

"And your knee is bleeding," Enrique pointed out, making Camilo's peaceful moment disappear into ashes.

"Yeah, and your knee is bleeding," Estella echoed, her eyes getting wide as soon as the words escaped her mouth. "YOUR KNEE IS BLEEDING?" She yelled, surprised, looking down to see how Camilo's pants had a rip, revealing his wounded knee.

"We're getting both of you to Señora Julieta," Estella said sternly, dragging the two of them toward La Casa Madrigal to get fed and nursed, earning their selves a lecture from the girl.

★ ★ ★

"How did you two get all these scrapes and scratches anyway?" Julieta asked, looking at her dirty daughter and nephew as they started mumbling their reasons while staring at each other, talking using their expressions.

: Seriously, Mirabel?

: You're the one who marched up there.

"Ayy," Julieta sighed, leaning her head to the side as Casita brought over the cooked empanadas the woman was preparing for later. "Gracias, Casita," She smiled, feeding the two their food which they gladly took.

"Are you making cocadas, Señora?" Estella chimed in, noticing the shredded coconuts on the counter.

"Cocadas?" Enrique asked, peeking from the side, making Julieta lightly chuckle. "Something tells me you two are both into sweets."

The two backed away, both getting a little bashful, looking almost like siblings.

"Why don't you stay for dinner later, Estella?" Julieta offered since Enrique was also staying one more night with them.

"Oh, no, it's alright. I appreciate the offer," She politely said, not wanting to trouble them. The three teens, without knowing, secretly shared the same desire of wanting to have her with them for tonight.

And yes, Enrique included. Because she's been his friend ever since they found him in the woods, and also because he feels a bit awkward when the most important family in this whole village are all looking at him in the same room.

"Aw, c'mon, 'Stel," Mirabel pleaded, grabbing one of her arms, "We'd love to have you around."

"Ah, well," Estella hesitated, noticing the eager stares of her friends. "If it's not that much trouble–"

"Oh, it won't be," Julieta said, waving her hand to dismiss the idea, "As Mira said, we'd love to have you."

"Oh, Luisa," The woman called, seeing her daughter pass by. She picks up an empanada and hands it to her with a wholehearted smile, making Luisa feel a bit embarrassed as everyone stares at her.

"Uh, it's okay, Mom, I'm fine," She said, letting out a short nervous chuckle. "Aw, I just want to feed my cute daughter," Julieta says as Luisa blushes and takes the empanada in defeat.

"Can your cute sobrino have another empanada too?" Camilo asked, making Julieta laugh while both Luisa and Mirabel just rolled their eyes at him.

The four exited the kitchen after a while, and though they offered to help Jukieta, she simply declined and told them to have fun and spend some time with each other.

"Antonio!" Estella waved, "Hey, whatcha doing?" She asked, jogging towards him as the three others watched amusedly.

That's cute.

They all thought with a smile before noticing how they all shared the same look, making them uncomfortably shift.

"Looks like someone's been having a blissful day," Mirabel said aloud, noticing a happy-looking Dolores from upstairs. The girl, of course, heard it, playfully rolling as she went inside her room.

"She did just score the love of her life," Camilo joked, putting his hands together and batting his eyes dreamily making his cousin laugh.

Mirabel lightly shoved him, before he walked toward his brother and Estella chatting by Casita's entrance. Slowly, Mirabel's eyes find their way to Enrique, a tall, handsome figure leaning on the wall as he watches Camilo, Antonio, and Estella goof around by the entrance.

"So," Mirabel cleared her throat, catching his attention, "About earlier," She started.

"Camilo and I didn't mean to snoop," Mirabel said apologetically, awkwardly laughing afterward.

"It was nothing," Enrique shrugged, giving her a warm smile.

"Really? Your rats are going to throw a play?" They heard Estella ask Antonio excitedly as the little boy nodded at her.

"That's going to be so cute!" She exclaimed, lightly jumping in excitement, imagining Antonio helping his animal friends with rehearsing.

"Not as cute as you, of course," Camilo said, stretching the girl's cheek as she whines in protest to this action. She dislikes getting her cheeks stretched.

"Girl, take a hint."
"Take a hint, 'Stel."

Enrique and Mirabel both eyed each other silently for a second before bursting into laughter.

"Wait, you know about their little, y'know?" Mirabel questioned, glancing at the two specific people they were talking about.

"How can't I when it's so obvious?" Enrique admitted, "But apparently, not too obvious for those two to notice."

"Right," Mirabel said, nodding in agreement and chuckling at his remark. Meanwhile, the other two noticed how they were laughing at each other, talking about something.

"Well, they're getting along pretty well."