·27·

"Alma and Antonella"

Many years ago, when the Encanto still seemed too good to be true, the people turned to Alma – the bringer of their miracle, the person who gave them their salvation, for answers and decisions to make, renouncing her as their leader.

Everyone had lost something to the war; their home, a friend, a loved one. But Alma had lost all of those things when she witnessed her Pedro die trying to save them all.

It was never her fault. It was far from being her fault.

Still, she couldn't help but feel like it was all her fault. She felt guilty and depressed, and she thought that she could never deserve the candle no matter how much she works for it.

She needed to mourn for her husband. She needed time to grieve, cry, and break so she could put herself back together. But she couldn't.

Her children, Julieta, Pepa, and Bruno, the townspeople needed her. So she put her grieving aside and helped everyone start over.

Letting them stay inside Casita, helping them build their home, finding a place to put a farm on, feeding them, treating them, leading them. All whilst trying to raise her children and move on from her tragic loss at the same time.

She struggled so much.

But no one really saw how much she did.

No one but Antonella.

Alma didn't know how she saw through her, but in a way, she was glad someone did. Antonella became someone she could rely on, someone who she can turn to and ask for help. Someone she treated like a close friend.

Though she had help from a lot of other people in building the town, Antonella helped Alma in more than just one way. She helped raise her children, helped her manage the town, and even helped Alma let herself feel happy again.

Six years later, Antonella got married, moved into a new house with her husband, and started sewing together.

After a year, Antonella gave birth to a cheeky little girl who was as mischievous as ever.

Alma, of course, was very happy for her friend and her family. Since they've spent a lot of time together, it was no surprise to see their children playing with each other.

Tacita got along with the Madrigal triplets well; causing trouble with Pepa and Bruno, getting scolded by Julieta, being the opposite of a good influence, and a bunch of other stuff.

Alma's children treated Antonella like an aunt, and they looked at Tacita like she was their wild child of a cousin.

Both women saw each other's children grow. But not both women can admit that they made a few mistakes in trying to raise them.

Julieta was forced to grow up early, Pepa was pressured to control her emotions, and Bruno was always the bearer of bad news to people.

While the little wild child, Tacita, grew up with small barriers. She was allowed to make mistakes, go on adventures, pull random pranks, and oversleep. Plus, her imagination used to be off the charts.

One day, Tacita's father told her a story about the sea and how he and Antonella used to love going there.

Of course, the little child had gotten curious about the majestic sea her father described so wonderfully in his story. And it became a wish she always wanted to come true – to see the sea.

Or maybe even just get herself a shell to put on the wall or make into a necklace.

Being an only child with loving parents who were guilty of wanting to show their daughter a world of wonder, Antonella's husband planned on leaving Encanto to bring back a sea shell for his precious daughter.

Yes, Antonella was worried but a part of her also missed seeing the world with him. And if he could bring back something that would help their daughter know, or feel, or see how beautiful the world is, she'd be happy to witness that joyful moment.

Alas, her husband did not return.

Antonella was heartbroken, and her daughter was too young to even know what death really is.

Alma saw how Antonella's world shattered into a million pieces when her husband did not return, and it reminded her of herself just a few years back. Although before, she had Antonella to help her, now it was her turn to help her friend.

It took a while for Alma's friend to be able to stand up on her own feet again, but the important thing is that she managed to come back to normal after time.

Years passed by, and Tacita grew up. A little later than the Madrigal triplets but better late than never.

Alma had her children and grandchildren, Isabela, Dolores, and Luisa. While Antonella had her daughter and her sewing – something her family did well doing together, and something that secretly helped her feel like her husband was still there.

Not long after Tacita's marriage to her childhood friend, Benito, she had gotten pregnant. The same with Julieta and Pepa.

A few months in, Antonella's son-in-law, Benito was painting her soon-to-be granddaughter's nursery and it broke her.

The nursery's walls were designed with waves and shells, making her remember how much her own daughter wanted to see even just a fragment of the sea when she used to be her little girl. And it made her realize how Tacita's wish never came true.

Antonella's daughter was just days away from giving birth, and she was so desperate to show her daughter and granddaughter something they'd be happy to see.

Just a shell, one simple shell; was the words that the woman kept telling herself in her head. So, one night, she snuck out and left the Encanto, just like her husband did.

Unfortunately, just like her husband, she never returned.

Estella had just been born, but instead of crying tears of joy, Tacita cried tears of sorrow and regret as she read the letter her mother left her the night before she went away.

Tacita never needed a shell. And it was never because her wish didn't come true she told her husband to paint their daughter's nursery like that. It was the idea she treasured.

The idea of having an open mind with a wild imagination that had no limits. It was something that meant she was allowed to dream.

In the end, Tacita didn't let Estella sleep in the nursery. She asked her husband to repaint it, she hid away her mother's belongings, and she never told Estella anything about the sea or anything that couldn't be found inside the Encanto. In hopes that she'd stay by her side and not leave like her parents.

And in the end, Alma also ended up losing another special person in her life. Another friend, another person she let in her life.

Fifteen years later, Alma watched Tacita's daughter for Antonella. Seeing another child grow up into something beautiful and precious.

But what she didn't know, was that fifteen years later, something would be the same as before.