Chapter 8

"Uh, I guess I could. Just give me a minute." We both hang up and I stay in my Nike shorts and grab a oversized hoodie.
I leave a note in case I stay out all night.

Josh is leaning on a old black 1987 Chevy Truck. He looks so cute. He is wearing a beautiful smile. His brown hair is shaggy and his eyes have adorable bags under them. God, please don't let me fall in love. Maybe I am already in love, with his cute choice of clothing, plaid shirts, jeans, big boots. No!
"Well, don't you look ravishing." He smiles and laughs at my toothpick legs.
"Its freezing out here. Why did you want to meet?" I shiver.
"Well, this world really sucks. So I thought if we did something together, than this life would be worth living." He turns his head toward me.
"So what are we going to do?"
"Do you have your car keys with you right now?" he asks.
"Yeah."
"Okay, we will take my truck then." He walks over to the other side of the truck and helps me get into his vehicle.
"When you said life sucks, what did you mean? I mean, your life doesn't suck. Mine does." I ask yawning and then I pat my oxygen tank.
"Er, well, the doctor came in with my results after you left the hospital." He stops. And my heart swells.
"I don't have lung cancer." He finishes.
"Well, that's good." I say.
"But you do. And I hate that. I know that I barely even know you, but I already can tell what a wonderful person you are." He pulls off the road and stops the car and looks me in the eyes. His are filled with tears.
"Hazel, I want to know you more. I want to know your story, not your sad story about this God awful world, but the stories you will only share with certain people. I want to know the embarrassing times at school. The amazing miracles that happened to you in your life. And I want you to know that one of the amazing miracles that happened to me recently is you."