Chapter 10

I just realized we are at a beach. At midnight.
"Uh, why are we at the beach?" I ask. It warmed up a little but so I took my hoodie off and now I had a plain orange and white shirt on. Damn it! I forgot to put on a bra before I left the house. I quickly grab the hoodie and hold it over my breasts.
"The real question is, why weren't we at the beach many hours ago?" Josh suddenly takes off his shirt and his pants and jumps in the water with only his boxers on.
"Oh my God! Josh!" I laugh. The sky is so beautiful. I just noticed it. Even though its starless, its still pretty.
"Hazel! I can't believe you aren't in this water!" He floats on his back and stares at the sky almost like he knew I was looking at it moments ago.
I sit down on the very edge of the beach. Just where the waves wash in and soak my bare feet.
"I can't. Remember? I have this stupid thing." I point at the oxygen tank.
"Oh, yeah I forgot. I'm sorry." Josh gets out of the water and sits by me. He lays down to stare at the sky and I do the same.
"Hazel?" Josh asks.
"Yeah?"
"Are you afraid?"
"Of what?" I don't want to look at him because I know that if I do, there's a possibility that I will get lost in his perfect hair, pretty eyes, cute face, and wonderful personality.
"Are you afraid to like me?" He asks.
"Why would I be-"
"You know why. You're afraid Augustus is watching. You're afraid that he thinks you don't love him."
"...it doesn't feel right...Josh. It just feels wrong."
"Hazel, look at me."
I look at him. Big mistake. He is making me feel guilty as hell right now.
"Read this text." Josh grabs his jeans that were removed from his body. He pulls out an iPhone like mine. He puts the phone in my hands and says, "Read the whole conversation and then meet me in the truck."