Chapter One

She was only sixteen years old, feeling like nothing in her life was going right. She hated this feeling and wanted to find a source for a new light of hope, but nothing saved her, even her own light felt beyond repair.

"TULLAH!"

Tullah squeezed her eyes closed as she pulled her blanket over her head, she didn't want to hear her stepdad's voice this early in the morning.

She heard her bedroom door push open; she heard her light switch flick on. She felt the tug of her blanket trying to be ripped off her body.

Tullah kept her grip tight on the blanket as she tried to hide under it.

"YOUR MOTHER SAID TO CLEAN THIS MESS UP LAST NIGHT! YOU FUCKING PIG!"

Tullah could taste the stench of his smoker's breath through her blanket.

He managed to finally rip the blanket off her body, she kept her eyes squeezed shut.

"FUCK YOUR LAZY!"

She heard him kick the dishes that had been lined by her bed. She tried to keep herself calm as she felt rage boil beneath her skin.

"CLEAN THIS SHIT UP! AND THE SHIT YOU MADE IN THE KITCHEN!" He stormed down the hallway.

Tullah didn't move, she feared to move. She wanted to scream, she wanted to cry, she wanted to fight back. Her body was tense with emotion as she felt her eyes fill with pain from squeezing tightly, she wasn't sure if she was starting to cry as she felt her jaw struggle to stay clenched.

She could hear him slamming the fridge door, she heard him slam down a coffee mug, yank open a kitchen draw.

"Fucking bitch! CAN'T CLEAN UP AFTER HERSELF! Lazy slut!" He didn't even fail to mutter under his breath, he made a point to make her hear everything.

Tullah chewed down on the inside of her lower lip as she struggled to stay calm, she struggled to keep her tears away. She was used to hearing the angry spit from his lips, he hated her, and she hated him. If she had it her way, her mother wouldn't have met the asshole that had been causing her grief since she was twelve.

She listened to him slam the backdoor shut.

Tullah opened her eyes as she listened to the outside sounds, listening to the motor of his car start, listen to the gates squeaking opening, listening to the traffic drive past, listening to the sound of his car pulling out of the driveway and finally listening to sound of his car driving out in the distance.

Tullah slowly sat up as tears dropped down her cheeks. She tried to keep quiet knowing her mother was still sleeping.

She brought her knees up to her chest and hugged herself as she found comfort in trying to stay calm.

Tullah carefully watched her step as she placed her feet down on the carpet that had been covered with dirty dishes.

Her asshole of a stepdad had placed them in her room, the food still on the plates, the half-drunk out of cups, the coffee stain spoons and mugs all in her room because she hadn't washed the dishes for two nights in a row. It wasn't that she was being a lazy bitch but because she just didn't have the mentality to do anything besides stay in her room once she got home from school.

She looked at her alarm clock that sat on top of her bedside draw that she had had since she was a baby.

5:40

Tullah sighed, it felt like a never-ending cycle.

She lowered her gaze to the floor trying to see where her phone was amongst the dirty dishes, she sighed when she couldn't see it on the floor.