Chapter Four

"Brad" Tullah smiled when she saw him sitting alone outside their classroom.

Brad pulled one earphone out as he looked up at Tullah "Tullah" he attempted a smile.

She sat down next to him and placed her bag on top of her crossed legs "You okay?"

Brad nodded "You?"

Tullah shrugged.

Brad leaned his head on her shoulder "Did Cleo tell you about last night?"

"yeah" Tullah breathed.

"She said it was bad, right?" Brad adverted his eyes upwards to her face.

"Well..." Tullah trailed off.

Brad sighed "I don't know how you can be their friend."

"Who else am I going to hang out with?" Tullah stared out at the empty space in front of her.

Brad remained silent.

"Uh, what's the rules about touching?" Mrs Dakers slid open the classroom door.

Brad shifted his weight off Tullah.

"Morning, Mrs D." Brad spoke as he rose to his feet.

"Brad" She replied as she stepped aside to let him into the room.

Tullah stood up and followed behind Brad "Morning" She managed to speak.

"Tullah." Mrs Dakers stayed by the door as she waited for student as the bell rang.

Brad sat in the back corner of the classroom, Tullah sat down by Mrs Dakers cluttered with paperwork and small animal ornaments desk.

"Dakers!"

Tullah heard Lola's voice, she looked up seeing Cleo and Lola walking through the door.

"Why'd you leave us, T." Cleo asked as she sat down across from Tullah.

"I thought you were behind me" Tullah believed her own words.

"Mixer came down again" Lola rolled her eyes as she sat down next to Cleo.

The classroom began to fill with students. Mrs Dakers looked down at her watch before sliding the door closed and locking it, she walked over to her desk.

Tullah pretended to focus on whatever gossip her friends where trying to speak off, after this morning she had no desire to pay attention to anything.

As much as Tullah wanted the day over, she also knew that the minute the school bell rang she'd be back at home, to her version of hell.

Mrs Dakers looked down at her printed out paper of class roll, she didn't bother calling out any names as she picked up her pen. She glanced up every few seconds to match the faces she was familiar with to the names on the roster.

The students turned their attention to the ones stuck behind the glass door.

"Pay no attention." Mrs Dakers said without a second thought.

Tullah watched as some students gave up, before noticing some of the boys disappearing out of view.

All the students in the classroom turned their attention to the side of the classroom, to the hallway. Everyone knew what was going to happen next.

Mrs Dakers kept her attention flicking between the students in the room and her almost near marked class role.

Everyone suddenly turned silent as they watched.

The boys snuck into the classroom through the hallway, they took a seat silently as felt like they had outwitted Mrs Dakers even though everyone knew full well this was routine.

Mrs Dakers looked up; she pursed her lips together "Did I say you could come in?"

"We were already here, Miss." Spoke Afreed.

Mrs Dakers rose up from her seat.

"Come on, Miss. We were here before the second bell." The self-nicknamed, Gooey explained.

"You weren't in my room before I closed the door."

"Oh, Miss." The boys almost chimed together.

"Out." Mrs Dakers knew the routine and so did the boys.

"But, Miss. We weren't late."

Mrs Dakers stepped out from behind her seat.

"Out."

The boys knew the routine, they picked up their bags before running out of the classroom and through the hallway and back to the students waiting outside the glass door.

Mrs Dakers stepped over to the door, she unlocked the door and slid it open.

Most of the students entered as quietly as possible, they were used to being locked out.

"Yo, Miss!" The boys acted as if they hadn't already interacted her for the morning.

"SUP!" Hazzy jumped through the door.

"Harry, enough." Mrs Dakers hid her smile as she tried to calm the chaos of boys.

"You all know the rules, if you aren't here by second bell than you need a late slip." She turned her attention to the classroom full of students.

A third bell rang for the morning.

"If any of you are late for my class, you won't be let in." She stepped away from the door as her students failed to make an orderly attempt to leave the classroom, some students snuck through the hallway to get to the room next door.