Chapter 11

15 days passed in a blink in studies and it was the day of their last mid-term exam. While returning back Sidharth proposed that they should eat Chole-Kulche. They all went to the street vendor selling Chole-Kulche and gave their order. While waiting for their order, Gurvinder was trying his best to talk with Sidharth. Arpita, his saviour, started talking to Gurvinder to save her brother.

"Pata hi nahi chala na exams kitne jaldi khatam ho gaye." Shehnaaz said giving her water bottle to Sidharth.

"Hmmm...vaise sahi hai. Exams aane ke baad pata hi nahi chalta ki subah kab hui aur raat kab. Din panno ki tarah badalte hai." He replied sipping water.

"Yeh lijiye. Aapke 4 plate Chole-Kulche." The old street vendor said serving them their order.

"Oh uncle. Thoda jaldi nahi laa sakte the kab se beithe hai hum log." Gurvinder spoke rudely.

Shehnaaz hissed listening to her brother's tone and thanked the old man when he offered her the plate. "Thank You uncle ji. Veerji ji ki taraf se mein maafi maangti hun."

"Arey nahi beta. Sorry kis baat ka. Mai roz aise logo se milta hun. Ab farak nahi padta. Vaise tu badi pyaari hai." The old man said patting her head and went back to his hand trolley.

Sidharth was looking all this quietly and adoring her more. With each day passing puberty was hitting him harder. Suddenly Arpita screamed at Gurvinder breaking his trance. He turned to look at the fierce girl scolding Gurvinder who was almost on the verge of crying.

"Oyye Gorilla. Kaise bola tu ne uncle ji ko aise. Kab se samjha rahi hun sorry bol samajh mai nahi aata. Aaya bada paise de raha hun ka raub jhaadne wala. Paise mere bhaiya de rahe hai. Chal sorry bol." Arpita reprimanded him and also mimicked him boasting about money.

Gurvinder was rather ashamed being scolded among so many people by a girl and that too younger than him. He mumbled sorry to the street vendor and ate quietly after that.

Shehnaaz giggled and said, "Kisi ko agar thoda bohat shak ho na toh vo bhi aaj khatam ho gaya hoga ki Aru pakka aapki hi behen hai."

"Vo toh aisi hi hai humesha se. Haan shaayad thoda bohat mera asar aur support bhi hoga. But vo humesha se aisi hi thi. Bass vahi hai ki uski awaz ko dabne nahi di hai maine." Sidharth replied to her and offered her a bite from his plate.

"Kaise chup karwaya na Veerji ko. Mujhe bohat hassi aayi." She murmured only for him to hear.

"Compare nahi kar raha par tu kab aisi banegi. I know they don't let you speak but kab tak aise chup rahegi. Kab tak galat sehti rahegi apne saath aur apni Amma ke saath. I know you are big enough to understand everything. Just think about it." He said finishing his plate and getting up to throw it in the dustbin.

"Sidharth itna easy nahi hai jitna aap bol rahe ho." She said teary-eyed.

"I know sweetheart. Just know that I am always with you. Ab please yeh rotlu shakal mat bana yaar." He replied not wanting to destroy her happy outing. 

While going to pay, he took her plate along with his plate making her admire his sweet nature. He payed to the vendor and while returning back to his place he saw Gurvinder trying to throw the plate on the street. He went towards him and said, "Sun aaj na tera din sahi nahi lag raha hai. Sharafat se bol raha hun uth ke dustbin mai phek plate ko." He left after saying this and Gurvinder looked at Arpita who was glaring him. He felt it a better option to do what Sidharth said rather than ruining his already ruined image among the people.

Shehnaaz was extremely tired for she had to study till late during nights because during daytime she was expected to do some house chores also. She just hit the bed on reaching home. It was only half an hour when Paramjeet barged into her room waking her up. Shehnaaz was terrified with her tone and sat immediately.

"Ho gayi na teri parikshayein khatam. Ab ghar ke kaam kon karega? Kaam chori karwa lo bass. Agle ghar jaayegi toh bass humari naak hi katwayegi yeh ladki." Paramjeet yelled.

"Dadiji mai vo bass...aaj thak gayi thi isliye aakh lag gayi hai. Shaam se pakka haath bata dungi Amma ka." She stammered intimidated by Paramjeet.

"Waah ji waah. Shaam se haath bata dungi. Aage jahan jaaye na waha apni saas ko kehke dikhaana yeh. Wapas maayke na bhej de toh." Paramjeet countered.

Just then, Reet came hearing the commotion. She interrupted fearfully, "Maa Ji. Zyaada kaam nahi hai. Mein kar lungi."

"Beti mai gunn toh maa ke hi aayegen. Aur yahan toh maa hi usse aalsi banane pe tuli hai." This time she yelled on Reet.

"Aur tu chal uth jaa ab. Khub kar lia aaram. Mere Gurvinder ko aaj Palak Paneer khaane ka mann hai. Bacha apni parikshaayein de dekar thak gaya hai. School wale bhi kitna tang karte hai." Paramjeet said and moved out of the room leaving Shehnaaz in tears.

Reet took her to kitchen along with her but felt like crying looking at her daughter who was tired and feeling sleepy. But being a girl she was expected to do house chores no matter what. She made her sit and told her to start doing anything if someone comes in the kitchen. However, she offered her mother that she would separate palak leaves from the stalk. The mother-daughter prepared the lunch.

It was lunch time when Kulwant entered the house. He was in a good mood since he made a good profit at his grocery store than other days. To add to his good mood was the delicious lunch. He washed his hands and started munching his food. He talked to his parents and Gurvinder; and also informed about his profit. Post lunch, Gurvinder asked for some cash to enjoy with his friends as his exams are over. Kulwant never denied his son so he gave him Rs. 200. At the same time Shehnaaz came to the hall for lunch and was ignored completely by everyone who were now settled on the sofas. She sat beside Reet and had her lunch. However, her heart pained with the biasedness and ignorance of her father. She didn't wanted any money but always craved for his love. She hoped one day her father would atleast understand her, if not love her. A lone tear escaped her eyes as she saw her father returning to his shop after having a good time with his son.

-------◇◇◇◇◇-------

NOTE : - I know I am terribly slow in updates because I am new to this and still learning to write. Infact, I myself forget what I wrote in the previous chapters. Sincere apologies for this and hats off to your patience.
          Tell me how was the update, if you feel so?🙂

{Published on : Tuesday, 12 April 2022}

_________________________________________

Keep Sidharth and his family in your prayers.

Your writer,
Sudhanya