38

By yourbonnieprince

Trigger warning?

Nico di Angelo hates Halloween.

He's not saying that just because he dresses like he was spawned from Halloween and people used to make fun of him for it. No. He just hates Halloween. So he has to wonder why his boyfriend and survival partner, Will Solace, is digging through the Dumpster of an old Party City that has been burnt to the ground by either lightning or lava, Nico can't be too sure, looking for discarded decorations for the dreaded holiday. Why were holidays at the forefront of the son of Apollo's mind? Nico would think finding shelter for the night was more important. Oh, and surviving an apocolypse caused by another mythological war.

"They have to be in here somewhere!"

Nico sighs and knocks on the side of the Dumpster to get Will's attention. They had to get moving if they were going to find a safe place to sleep tonight and the blond was delaying them.

"They were probably destroyed by Zeus's lightning when this building was hit by a stray bolt. Everything inside was probably incinerated. Now get out of that thing, I don't want you smelling like garbage. Who knows when the next rain will come; it's the only way we can get fresh water now."

Will visibly flops in defeat before using momentum to jump down from the side of the blue monstrosity.

"I thought for sure there would be something we could use."

Nico nudges him while rolling his eyes.

"You know how I feel about Halloween anyway, why are you so adamant about celebrating it? How are you even keeping up with the days of the year. I sure haven't been able to."

Will shrugs, taking out one of his arrows to check the tip. It didn't need to be checked; Nico knew the blond was doing it to think of what to say.

"I don't know. Everything has fallen apart around us but we're still here. I'm trying to keep up a semblance of normalcy between the random lightning attacks and awkward flooding. Oh, and the monsters from Tartarus."

Nico has to laugh a little. Will was right. Some normalcy would be welcome in the midst of an apocalypse of mythical proportions. The blond reaches for his hand as they begin the trek away from the burned building behind them in search for a place to sleep. The brunet accepts it with little fuss, long past the days of rejecting physical contact.

"Hey, I was able to control the skeleton armies to help us...somewhat, at least. Dad is on the side of the demigods because he thinks it's benefitting him; that's good for us. I can't say the same for the rest of the gods but I can't know what they're thinking."

Will nods in agreement as they continue down the destroyed sidewalk, jumping patches of poison and still hot lava pools that melt the concrete beneath their feet..

"I wish I could say the same for my dad. I haven't heard from him in two years. I know Annabeth is out of her mind with worry over Athena. Rachel feels useless without the Oracle's spirit. We've got our own problems."

A howl in the distance distracts the son of Hades from what he was going to say next, both of them immediately on the alert.

"Problems like Tartarus hounds. Shit."

Will grabs Nico's hand tighter and jerks him into the nearest alleyway before whipping the Stygian blade, given to him by Hades at Nico's request, from across his back and proceeds to block the entrance with his body. Nico knows the blond isn't as confident in swords as he is in archery but his arrows wouldn't help them against these particular monsters. They've tried.