My First Hangover, Yay!

I wake up with a horrible headache, groaning as the light bleeding in from the half-closed curtains blinds me. I sit up in a plush bed, gripping the crisp white comforter with one hand and my forehead with the other.

"Morning," Payne's gruff voice sounds from the doorway. The strong scent of coffee invades my nostrils, and I scrunch up my face to try and get the smell out.

"What time is it?" I groan, then remember the arrangement I have with Bonni and repeat my question in a more frantic voice.

"Relax, relax. It's 7:23," He answers with a soft chuckle. He pushes himself off the doorframe with his shoulder and walks over to where I sit, setting down beside me, holding the coffee out to me. I let out a relieved sigh and hesitate before taking the hot liquid from his hands, careful not to burn myself or drop it.

"Café au lait. Carla told me it's the only type of coffee you'll drink," Payne gestures to the steaming mug in my hands.

"She called?" I ask, eyes slightly squinted.

"Uh, no, actually, I called her," Payne avoids eye contact with me, looking down at where his hand is resting on the bed.

"Oh," I raise my eyebrows in surprise, blowing on the coffee. "You ready for this?"

"I am." Payne looks confident. "Are you?"

"I... am. Yes," I try to imitate his confidence, but I'm really unsure. I hope my plan works. When the coffee is finally cool enough that I won't be pouring molten lava down my throat, I take a sip, wincing as the strong coffee tries to freshen my head. The flavor is surprisingly delicious, and I find myself taking another drink.
"I need to get ready. What do I wear to meet my idols?" I fret, glancing at my duffel bag on the floor.

"The Louvre curators are your idols?" Payne asks.

"Uh, yeah? Aren't they yours?" I shoot back with a frown. He sputters but doesn't come up with a verbal answer, just a grin. I rush to get my luggage and rummage through it.

"Oh no, I don't have a button-up! I'm going to look so unprofessional, and-" I begin to ramble, stressing over every little detail.

"Do you just want to borrow one of mine?" Payne offers with a gesture to his room.

"Really? You'd let me do that?" I implore, hands clasped together with a nervous smile.

"Yeah, come on, take your pick." Payne gets up and opens the curtains all the way, causing a searing pain in my eyes. He apologizes and shuts them, helping me get up and stumble to his room. I take a plain white button-up and return to my room, setting the button up down with a pair of jeans and a black leather belt. I drain the coffee cup dry and go to the washroom to clean my wounds and replace the bandages. I then change out of what I was wearing the night before and pull on the button up, cracking up when I see myself in the mirror. Payne rushes in to see if I'm hurt and fights a snicker when he sees what I'm wearing.

"I'd say it's a little big," I hold out my arms, the sleeves drooping as I do. The shirt hangs down just above my knees, and the sleeves almost match that length.

"Nah," Payne jokes as I roll up the sleeves. It looks better now, but I'm going to have to tuck it in so I don't look like a child. Tugging on the jeans, I make sure the shirt's bottom stays inside when I button it. I pull the shirt out slightly and smile at myself in the mirror when I see the finished product. I leave the top three buttons open and take my mug into the kitchen to clean it.

"Are you ready to go?" Payne exits his room, buttoning his shirt.

"I think so," I'm still very nervous. Will they arrest us? No, we'll cut a deal with them. I go through a series of inquiries and solutions before Payne taps me on the shoulder and jerks his thumb towards the door. I nod, and we leave, walking purposefully down the narrow Parisian streets, not pausing to listen to the accordion players on the street corners or to marvel at the architectural wonders of the city. Instead, we walk quickly to the Louvre, making our way around to a side door marked 'Employés seulement.' I feel bad for Payne, having rambled the whole walk about the curator, her achievements, the art in the museum, and my favorite book: The Da Vinci Code.