Chapter Twelve

Today's the day. A heavy sigh escapes my lips. These walls that once made me feel so safe, now cause dread to fill my heart and mind. After many long hours of deliberation about what I should do, I've finally come upon a conclusion. A knock on the metal doors brings me out of my thoughts. Looking up, George is the one who has come to collect me.

"You look like shit." George states, breaking the silence between the two of us. A rough huff of a laugh escapes me due to his blunt observation.

"Thanks. I feel like shit, too." A small smile cracks upon his lips before he frowns, likely remembering what had happened yesterday with Sapnap.

"Listen, (Y/N)... Nick didn't mean what he said and did. This war with L'Manberg has been wearing us all down. I'm not saying he should have taken that anger out on you, but please don't put all the blame on him." I look away from the glasses-wearing male. He's not wrong, I know that much. I sigh once more, glancing down at the wooden planks beneath my feet.

"What Sapnap did shouldn't have been done to any living being. No matter what they've done to deserve such treatment. Much less someone supposed to be your friend. But yet, I can't find it in me to hate him nor pin all the blame on him. I said stuff I shouldn't have said, yes. Was I out of line? Probably. So seriously, George. It's alright. I won't be walking on eggshells around you guys any longer. You're my friends, and I'll be damned if I let this get between our friendship." At this George's eyes widened in surprise.

"Wait, are you saying what I think you're saying?" He asks me, hope evident behind those brown eyes of his. I feel a part of me die when I nod.

"I am." And so I find myself being led throughout the base. To Dream's personal strategizing room. George knocks on the door, announcing our presence. Dream looks up from the plans on his table. The empty smile of his mask stares at the both of us. A quick glance around the room tells me that Sapnap and Punz are also in here. Sapnap refuses to meet my gaze, while Punz stares at me curiously. He likely wonders why I'm even here to begin with. George clears his throat, anxious to get the words he wanted to say out and into the room.

"(Y/N), would you like to tell the others what you told me?" He asks me. I smirk and nod.

"I want back in." Everything in the room falls to a standstill. Dream stands up a little taller, a subtle, playful smirk on his lips.

"What was that? I don't think I heard you the first time." I groaned, placing a hand on my hip.

"Want me to say it again? Fine. I want to come back. I've been thinking a crap ton the past day and I've come to realize that I was wrong for even leaving in the first place. Happy now?" Sapnap's eyes widened in shock.

"Wait, are you serious? You're not trying to play us or anything right?" I huffed, shaking my head.

"I'm a terrible liar. You know that. You're my friends, you know my tells. So tell me, Dream? Am I lying about wanting to come back?" I stare my old friend down, just as he does the same to me. His lips don't betray any facial expressions. Finally, after what felt like hours of staring at each other, his lips quirked up in a smirk. A triumphant one at that. He walks around the table and approaches George and I. He walks past George and places one of his gloved hands on my shoulder.

"I knew you could never abandon us. We're friends, after all, right? Been through the thick and the thin together. But I always knew you'd come right back. Because my favorite thing about you is...." He trails off, leaning closer to my ear. "Your loyalty." He straightens himself and slings an arm around my shoulder.