Walk to the Park [Eva Cudmore]

You were tired.

Tired of all the fights you've been having with your girlfriend. On the phone, in person—it's just been happening a lot. And what makes it worse is you haven't seen her in weeks, and the last time you did, you had a fight with her.

That feeling in your stomach was starting to get worse. Could this be the end? It was hard to admit, but from the recent events, it might just be true.

Taking your phone from the side of your bed, you take your heavy-feeling body and stand up, grabbing the black sweatshirt draped over the corner of the bedpost and slipping it on, before dragging yourself out of your bedroom.

You slowly make your way out of your house, making sure to be as quiet as possible so your parents won't hear. It was early in the morning—almost 4 o'clock to be exact—the time just before dawn, so if you'd accidentally wake them up, that's definitely another problem to worry about.

Walking through the dark sidewalks, you find your way to the park, where you've always gone to calm yourself down after a fight. There were normally a lot of people there, but because it's fairly early, you doubt that'd be the case.

When you finally reach your so-called safe place, you find that there were a couple people there, but you knew you wouldn't get noticed. You look for an empty bench to sit on, and you find one near a tree.

You sat down, slumping down on the seat. Your gaze moved up, to the sky, looking up at the stars and the moon—that's soon going to come down. You looked down and watched as the other people interacted—either with their friend, or their significant other.

The way they did made your heart swell, and you wondered what it would feel like to have somebody like that in your life. The old couple that sat a few benches away from you—you thought about how much they love each other, being able to be like that at such an old age.

You wondered about how many fights they must've had; how they made up, how they managed to not give up even after just one.

It's astonishing, isn't it?

Maybe they were actually meant to be.

You scoffed at the thought and looked away at the couple.

Your eyes made its way back towards the tree, now finding a person sitting on the grass underneath it. You tried to grab your glasses from your sweatpants pocket to see clearer, but realized that you forgot to get then from your desk.

Rolling your eyes at the dumb mistake, you squint—just a bit—and found that the person is crying. Your eyes widen in instinct, immediately standing up from your seat and walking towards the tree, where the person is.

As you stopped beside the person, you called her, "Hey."

She looked up at you with her swollen, red eyes and tear-stained cheeks. Your jaw dropped. Oh no.

"I guess I'm the last person you want to see right now," you managed to let out, "So I'll just leave you alone now. Bye, Eva." When you turned back to walk away, you felt her hand pull the back your sweatshirt, stopping you from moving.

"Stay."

You stood still for a moment, thinking of what would happen if you would. Nothing's to loose, right? You two already fought, so this wouldn't even matter if this goes wrong.

"Alright." She let go of your shirt, and you sat down beside her.

You stayed silent for a couple minutes—not even moving much at all, just leaning back against the tree. After hearing few quiet sniffles from Eva, you turned towards her, just to find that she's crying again.

"Hey, why are you crying?" you said, "Wait, that's a stupid question."

Eva wiped her eyes with her hands before saying, "You always say stupid things anyway."

Ouch.

"But I did, too—the past couple of days," she added.

"I haven't seen you in a while, huh?" you said, trying to lighten the mood.

"Well, yeah!" she shouted, "You're always too busy! Or 'you have work'! You promised me you'd always have time for me—even for just a minute. You promised." Her voice became almost inaudible at the end as she slumped down, tired from all of this.

"I actually had a lot of things to do—"

"You couldn't even call or message me," she whispered.

"I'm sorry," you said, turning away from her.

"Don't be sorry, it's my fault."

"But I promised—"

Eva grabbed both of your hands and pulled you to face her. "Yeah, and you broke it," she said, which made you immediately shut up. "But I just wished you, at least, texted me 'goodnight' or a 'how are you'. It's my fault that I actually expected that."

The seconds of you not replying were quiet, and you hoped that the ground would just open up and swallow you whole.

"I'm sorry," you told her again. "I was a really shitty girlfriend—and best friend—for not even asking how are you. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. Just promise—and don't break it this time, please, that you won't do it again. It breaks, me, my heart, every time you break one."

You watched as she let go of your hands and leaned forward to kiss your cheek, close to the corner of your mouth. "I promise," you said, "And I also promise to never break it."

It only takes a few seconds for Eva to pull you into a long-time longed kiss. You moved closer, placing your hands on her sides.

The kiss made the feeling of sadness and anger start to fade away; all of the feelings from the fights and not seeing each other for weeks were suddenly getting resolved.

A tiny smile made its way to your face as you bit her bottom lip, which made her gasp and wrap her arms around your neck.

Your kiss lasted a few more second after you decide to pull away, feeling the matching need for oxygen in your lungs.

When you both pulled away, you looked forward, watching as the rising sun slowly started to light up the park.