Chapter 6

Things went along as normal, as if we never shared that passionate kiss. Neither one of us talked about it, or acknowledged that it happened. The only thing we did acknowledge was that I said I was staying.

"Obi, how about we go to the town?" Kaiya offers. I look up at her while she polishes some glasses.

"Taking your hostage to town? Are you sure about this?" I tease.

She sets down the glass in her hand. "Last I checked, you have Stockholm syndrome and you don't want to leave." She jokes back.

I laugh and shake my head. "You're right about that. I would love to go to town."

"You should laugh more often Obi. It's nice to hear it from you." Kaiya says as she walks by, heading towards the door. I blink at her, speechless from her words. She stops in the doorway and puts on her cloak. "You coming? Or are you just going to watch me walk away?" I smile and follow her out the door.

She only has one horse, but he's a strong one. We both get up on 'Havoc' and start making our way to town. "Alright Obi, same rules as when we normally go to town. It's very dangerous with lots of criminals. Let's just say there's a reason the bar is in the woods." Kaiya says as she takes us towards town.

"Are you sure we're safe there?" I ask, feeling for some of my weapons.

She nods. "Yes, I have built up a good reputation. Most people know who I am and that I run a bar. They will protect me if someone were to attack. I just wanted to warn you. As always, try not to draw attention to yourself or anything you see."

I stay quiet for a little bit before commenting. "Is that why Nanaki exists?"

"Yes."

"Does Nanaki need to come back?" I ask her. She pulls Havoc to a stop and whips around to look at me.

"Obi what are you saying? You want to become Nanaki?" She asks, surprised. She looks worried too.

I rub the nape of my neck. "Well if it would make the town and the bar safer, why not?"

She grabs my shirt. "People are afraid of Nanaki, sure. But a lot of people hate Nanaki too. I couldn't stand it if you died from becoming them!" Her eyes are full of fear. "Obi you don't have to put yourself in danger like that. Please... don't damn yourself with this." Her hands are shaking.

I lightly grab her face and bring her gaze back up to me. "I'm hard to kill, remember? I should've died with that chest wound, but you saved me. You said it yourself, you were surprised to find me breathing." I smile at her and gently rub her cheek with my thumb. "I want to be able to protect you, Kaiya. I won't be Nanaki all the time, just once in a while. I'm still Obi after all."

She searches my face, thinking over my proposal. She slowly lets go of my shirt. "Do what you want. I don't control you." She turns back around and signals Havoc to go forward.

I lean in next to her ear. "As my captor, you do control me. Isn't that right?"

"Obi, I'm not in the mood for jokes right now." She says flatly.

"I need a real answer from my captor. Not an angry one that will get me in trouble later." I say with a smile. She stops Havoc in his tracks, pushes me off, then takes off in the direction of town. "Well shit!" I say before chasing after them. I'm fast, but keeping up with a horse running full speed is difficult.

"Kaiya!" I shout as I chase after them. Havoc is probably one of the fastest horses I have ever seen. It doesn't help they both know these woods and have no problem maneuvering through the trees and brush. Me on the other hand, I only know a little section of the woods.