19.

Life's not a paragraph
And death I think is no parenthesis”

—E. E. Cummings

The earliest memories Migyung had of the house in the quiet suburbs flanked by trees and an old charm were of screaming, giggling, and running wild in the garden during hot summers

The earliest memories Migyung had of the house in the quiet suburbs flanked by trees and an old charm were of screaming, giggling, and running wild in the garden during hot summers. The sprinklers would drench her, her sister, and her mother as they played in the late afternoon. Her dad would then join them as soon as he returned home.

Unlike her school friends, they didn't come from old money, the Kim couple had made sure to remind their daughters of where they came from and where they belonged. It had strengthened their relationship, an awareness of what they had gone through had made the sisters extremely loyal and protective of their parents. A quality Migyung had often seen lacking in most children at the school. They were detached, from reality and family.

She was rightfully detached too but as she sat on the couch, her father's arm thrown around her shoulders, his hand drawing circles on her arm, and her head placed on his shoulder, she let the reality sink in. Taking a deep breath, her eyes closed she let nostalgia overwhelm her as she drew in her father's comforting scent.

He smelled like cloves which she knew came from cigarettes and old paper and ink. Her father worked way too much. But he was used to it, the routine of working calmed his mind and body. To let go of work, a habit developed over years was hard. Therefore, she knew better than to ask him to stop working.

"Don't work too hard, dad," she still said, worried he would tire himself out unnecessarily. "Your vice president is pretty capable of handling the work like you do, so take it slow."

A chuckle shook his shoulders, the sound reverberating from his body to hers. "Okay, sweetheart, I'll take it slow. You take it slow too, you are not twenty anymore."

She scowled at the floor, wanting to direct it to her father who she knew had a satisfied smile on his face. "I'm not that old, okay? Maybe a few sore muscles and broken bones but I'm still in my twenties. I'm perfectly healthy."

"Oh, then why don't you find yourself a good man and settle down. Best time to have children if you ask me," her mother's voice suddenly cutting through the conversation had Migyung groaning, her hand running over her face in irritation because it certainly wasn't the first time her mother had spoken her wish to have grandchildren.

"Ask Mijung to get married. Stop pestering me," she let out a frustrated breath just as her mother put a spoon full of creamy porridge in her mouth. The first taste of the food had her eyes widening and the second time she chewed it her stomach grumbled in appreciation, demanding more.

"Mijung doesn't get dropped off by boys at our doorstep. I saw the boy that dropped you off and I could tell you two are close."

Migyung blushed. She didn't think anyone had noticed them, not that she had been looking to make sure since all her attention was on Hoseok. The thought of him and the way he had looked a little shy after that kiss had her stuffing her mouth with food to ignore her mother. It didn't go unnoticed.