chapter one

When I glance out the window, I don't think about where I'm headed. I think about what it would feel like to jump out right now onto the middle of the highway, deliberately clashing with the incoming traffic. I think about how great it would be to not care. Except, as much as I pretend not to, I do care. Why is why my hand leaves the handle and glues itself back to my lap. From what I know of Bayshore, it's nothing like my old school. Bayshore is for the rich. Bayshore is for the strong. On paper, Bayshore is flawless, and perfect for me. Kids would die to attend a semester here, and if they got the chance, they'd leave everything behind and come in a heartbeat. But I am not like the others. I would rather be anyone else than me. I am a prince, and I've despised being one the second I was born.

My life is a thousand times harder than the average person. Burdens of responsibility weigh on my shoulders, and if I mess the smallest of details up, everyone will know. It has happened far too many times, but it just so happens that this time was the last straw. Day after day, I can feel the life seeping out of me as if the plug to my lungs is being pulled. I'm hanging on by the skin of my teeth. One misstep and I'm done for good. One wrong turn and I become the laughing stock of the royal family.

It all started with a party. I should have never gone to that party. None of this would have happened if I said no. I could've still been with my friends, but of course, I had to ruin it. I should've known it was trouble. Parties are notorious for ripping people apart, both physically and emotionally. It's a real shame that I succumbed to peer pressure. If only I knew better. The flashing signs were unmistakably obvious, yet I somehow managed to dodge every single one of them. I should've especially gotten out of there the instant I laid eyes on him.

Instead, I stood there like a coward. My hands took control of my body and before my brain could register, I had knocked the guy down. Apparently, someone recorded it and the clip spread like wildfire. Now I'm sitting in the back seat of a limousine, approaching a nightmare. What more could go wrong? A few stoplights later, we emerge at the front door. A hand greets me and it takes me a second to notice that it's my cousin. Juliano has changed so much, especially since I haven't seen him in what feels like a decade. He's gotten taller, and skinnier, and his hair is now a tsunami of dark curls.

"Nicolas! It's so good to see you, man! Come, let's take some pictures," he exclaims. I follow him to the lush garden. It is wide and open, sloping dynamically down to a cosmic-blue river. There is a plush-green meadow that stretches away into the vastness. It's definitely a sight to see.

"Smile, Nicolas," my mom yells to me. I bare my teeth at the camera, the ends of my lips slightly arched. I try to look at ease, but anyone can tell that it's a fake smile. I can't bring myself to feel any enthusiasm whatsoever. This is going to be the most dreadful three years of my life, that is if I make it that long. When I eventually hear the continuous clicking come to a pause, I take this chance to dash inside the building. I am greeted by a woman who I can only assume is the headmistress. She has wrinkles up to her irises and gives me an exhausted smile.

"Nicolas, it is an honor to meet you. You may call me Miss Charlemagne." She holds out her hand and I gently shake it.

"It's a pleasure to meet you too. Where should I put my stuff?" I ask her.

"Follow me. Normally first-years share bedrooms, but we've made an exception this time. We want you to feel nice and comfortable with enough privacy. After you're settled in, you may head to the chapel. We have a performance prepared to officially welcome you to Bayshore." We climb up a mountain of spiral stairs to reach my room.

Aside from the occasional cobwebs, it seems like a rather nice space. The sole light source comes from a slit between the sagging curtains of the elongated window, where I can view the mesmerizing river. The silky bedsheets smell like a mix of lavender and evergreen pines. I unpack my suitcase and lean it against the tinted walls. Once I've stuffed all my clothes into my closet and organized my school supplies on my desk, I'm ready to head back down. The chapel shouldn't be difficult to find, considering it's an aurora of colors, shimmering from the stained-glass windows. I pick an empty seat towards the front so that I can get a good look at the choir.