Chapter 4 - Alexis Reed

We met with my sister who went to a different store, so she can drive my car back. I also went to buy another gift for his nephew, Mickie.

He took me to his car and he drove us to his brother's place. I simply assumed that he's his friend and they're close like family. I mean, I've read that he's an only child. I have no information on his parents, though. Yes, when I was younger, I scourge every news article about him and every bit of information I could get.

We entered an exclusive subdivision. The houses are huge, mostly mansions. The one we went to is also a huge one.

Someone was there to park the car for Alex as soon as we stopped on the side of an amazing garden. He passed his keys to the older man, and he took the bag containing his gift for his nephew. He reached out and took my left hand as he led me inside the house.

"Hey..." A woman greeted. Her eyes turned to look at me and her smile became wider.

"Axel didn't say you're bringing someone." She went to hug Alex and kissed his cheeks.

"This is Alexis Reed. I meant to ask her to come, but she already had appointments."

"Hi, I'm Rhea. Axel's wife." She hugged me and kissed my cheeks as well.

"Nice to meet you."

"Actually, our wedding is scheduled for next month. So, I guess I'm still Axel's fiancée." She stated conspiratorially. Alex rolled his eyes at her. And I laughed.

"You said you had appointments?" Rhea asked, I liked her attention to detail.

"Yes. It ended early and I bumped into Alex at the mall."

"I see. That's good. Axel mentioned that he met someone at the party they went into last weekend. I was hoping it was a nice lady." I think I might've blushed at her statement.

"Alexis, right?" She asked again. I turned to look at Alex.

"Uh, actually..." I'm not sure how to proceed. It would be too much to ask them to change how they address Alex. The man didn't help and only laughed. I sighed, defeated.

"Yes. You can call me Alexis." She frowned as she looked from me to Alex.

"I'm missing something here." She noted.

"I'm also called Alex." I admitted. Her look of surprise is adorable.

"I see. That is cute. Two of you are called Alex. It's a little funny." She laughed lightly.

"Didn't you say you didn't like being called Alexis?" Alex asked and I can only stare at him with an exasperated expression on my face.

"I'll call you Alex. I'll leave it to the two of you to figure out to whom I'm talking to." Her mischievous grin is quite obvious.

"Hey, you're here. And who's this?" A man strode towards us, wearing an apron.

"Alex. Alexis Reed." I offered a hand for a handshake but he grinned as he pulled me into a hug. I guess that's their way of greeting. He didn't kiss my cheeks, though. That would make me a bit uncomfortable if he did.

"I can tell why you guys are laughing." He went to hug Alex, too.

"Have you introduced me?" He asked Alex, "Name's Axel."

"Your wife mentioned it." I stated and he grinned before turning to Rhea and pulling her into his arms. It's heart-warming to see them evidently in love.

"Come inside. Mickie's still having a nap. We held a children's party earlier at a restaurant for his classmates."

"I see." I said, suddenly realizing that this afternoon is for their family to celebrate, given the lack of many people and the fact that Axel himself seems to be preparing the food in the kitchen. I turned to Alex, as a hotel and restaurant owner, he should know how to cook, right?