Chapter 8 - Alexis Reed

"Dad, what's going on?" Dad called to tell me to get home immediately. I figured there's a problem at home or at his company and he needed everyone's help. It happened in the past.

"You are grounded. You're not allowed to get out of the house in the coming weeks." Wait, what? I was confused at my father's outburst. I looked around at mom and my sisters.

"What's going on?"

"That boyfriend of yours. Our company's getting caught in a conflict between Queens and Liberty."

I tried to recall Liberty. It's a competitor of Queens.

"Give me details." I demanded. I guess the others also don't know anything, we're all waiting for dad to speak.

"I have transactions with Liberty. Now they're blackmailing me, saying they'll tarnish the company's reputation if Queens doesn't back out of the bidding, or unless I sell the company to them."

"What kind of transactions?" Details, I need details if I want to resolve this problem.

"Credit. Supply. They're planning to say I've always paid late. That I've ordered more than I can handle, wasting storage, delaying receipt of goods and payment. I would've fought them, but they haven't provided documents. I thought it was normal at the time, since they're a huge corporation. Who knew they were planning something like this?"

"So... have you talked to Alex? This involves him, right?"

"He's the reason we're in this mess. How can he help? Will he be willing to withdraw from the bidding? This isn't his personal decision; he's running a company."

"So, what? Are you going to sell your company? You can't do that." I knew how much my father poured into his business. It's his passion.

"Do I have a choice?" He argued back, yelling.

"Let me talk to Alex, alright?"

"No. Go to your rooms. Don't speak about this to anyone until it's resolved, got it?" He instructed me and my sisters. I exchanged glances with the two of them. Alena, I know her.

When we get to my room, they both entered it with me. I faced them immediately.

"It's not Alex's fault, is it?" I asked. Alena shook her head. She pushed me towards the bed and we all sat on it.

"It's not. If anything, it was that bastard, Olsen's, fault. He's greedy. He's using underhanded methods. If he's capable, he would have fought Queens fairly on that bidding project."
"Olsen's?" I asked.

"Liberty's CEO." Alice showed me her phone. They already browsed information on Liberty.

"What can we do? Dad can't sell." I repeated what I said earlier.

"How do you think Alex can help? It's like what Dad said, it's not his personal decision to make. He can't easily withdraw Queen's bid, right?"

"Should I ask him?" I asked, pulling out my phone. He should be capable of something, right? If not, that Olsen wouldn't have used underhanded tricks.

My sisters and I just stared at each other, feeling helpless. I stood up and walked towards the door. I want to know Dad's plans.

Alex called me later that day, but I didn't answer. He called a few more times and I switched off my phone. Still not knowing what to do.

Dinner was quiet. It was Alena who dared to ask questions.

"What's your plan, Dad?"

He stopped eating and sighed. Mom gave Alena a stern look.