Chapter 10 - Alexis Reed

"We have to introduce ourselves as Leandra Sanders? Why can't we introduce ourselves and say we know Leandra Sanders?" She asked. I'm curious, too. We stared at Aya, who smiled widely.

"We've done that before. One reason: Inefficient. It takes too much time to convince them that you know Leandra Sanders. They would ask all these questions, trying to make sure you're not scamming them." Her explanation is so simple, it makes sense. But I guess, it didn't sit well with my family that we have to pretend to be someone.

"Isn't..." Alena started. She glanced at me before continuing, "Isn't Leandra Sanders missing? Wouldn't they know we're lying?" Good question.

"Ohhh... you know about that?" She stole a quick glance at Alex. "Well, only a few people know about it. Only people who have access to this room knows about it." She answered calmly, though her expression didn't look as cheery as before. I almost wanted to apologize. Lee's her friend, she said. I almost forgot about that.

"Well, if you want me to go first, I can show you how it's done?" She offered with a smile. We all nodded at her.

"Great." And she proceeded to call the person on her sheet. She's a professional. The conversation was smooth. I see why they wanted someone who's eloquent. The person she contacted wasn't immediately agreeable. Aya winked at us as she proceeded to threaten the person with a revocation contract of some sort. My lip twitched when she asked the person if he's sure he wouldn't regret his decision. When the person asked for an evidence of some sort, Aya switched to informing him about Eric Queensland, Lee's lawyer who drafted the original contract between the person and Lee.

"I'll forward your information to him and he'll contact you within the hour. He'll send a copy our contract if that will make you agreeable." At that point, her tone carried a hint of contempt. Intimidation. She didn't like how the person questioned her identity and declined to offer immediate support. She finished the conversation sounding distant and annoyed. When she pressed the end button, she transformed back to her cheery self.

"I did well, didn't I? You would have to act a bit intimidating, powerful, authoritative... if the person starts questioning you, assume a tone of an annoyed person. Something like you regret having this person on your team." As I said, my family is very eloquent. Dad made sure we are confident. He doesn't like people putting us down just because we're girls. Alena and Alice assured Aya that they got it. Mom was more reserved but she nodded as well. I smiled at Aya as I took the phone.

"Wait... you'll need headphones. I'll get them." She ran to her room and came out with a bag of phone boxes. She took five out and handed a box to each of us. I figured the phones are newly bought. I opened the box to take out the headphones.

She turned to my dad, then.

"I think you can help with the supervision, sir. Make sure they put the papers to the proper section on the board. If the person requires Eric's assurance, you stick them on that side. Just pile them up. It doesn't matter. Tina knows what to do. If they don't require Eric and would like to speak with Howell, you stick them on this side."

She paused as if she just thought of a problem.

"Alex, you going to pass them to Howell?"

Surprisingly, my dad volunteered to do it.

"I'll be contacting him, anyway." He reasoned. Aya smiled sweetly at him.

"Thank you. I'll get you a phone." She rummaged through the bag of phones and extracted one from the bottom. I guess, they already took out the phones from the boxes. She also handed one box to dad.

We worked afterwards. To each his own. Tina called for food to be delivered to our room at ten, lunch at twelve, afternoon snack at three, dinner at six and snacks at nine.