Chapter Five

NIALL

Maren wanted to speak to me alone? Something was up... Did she remember anything? Did she finally know who I was? I didn't want to get my hopes up but still... I wanted her back. I wanted her to remember me again.

"So what's up?" I said, trying to act casual even though inside my stomach was doing gymnastics.

Maren chewed on her bottom lip, something she did when she was unsure and hesitant. It was funny I knew all of these things about her and she barely knew my name. "You were in my room when I woke up and nobody else was...." Maren began quietly. "Why?"

That caught me off guard. "Erm, well, um, I..." I scrambled, looking for an answer. My cheeks turned red and I began to get flustered.

"Are we close?" Maren interrupted.

I thought about it for a moment. Well of course we were close! She was my girlfriend for crying out loud... "Uh, yean," I said quickly.

"Like brother and sister close?"

"Well....not really." I shifted on my feet and bit my lip. How could I go about this? I mean, I didn't want to lie to her but telling her the truth at this point would overwhelm her too much. I needed Maren to remember, not be frightened and run away. Again.

"Oh." Maren was silent for awhile. "But I'm sorry if I was rude or whatever earlier, I didn't mean to be."

"It's alright, really. You don't have to apologize." I said, giving her a reassuring smile. "I'm just glad you're awake. You gave all of us quite a scare."

Maren laughed sheepishly. "I honestly have no idea how I got into all of this mess..." She sighed and laid her head back on her pillow, her darkish brown hair spilling around her.

I walked over to her and sat at the foot of her bed. "Whatever you're going through, Maren, the boys and I are here for you. You might not know us all too well," I paused to chuckle a little. Talk about deja-vu. "But we all care about you a lot."

Maren nodded, half of a smile appearing and disappearing just as quickly on her beautiful face. "Thank you, Niall."

My eyes met her hazel ones and my breath hitched. She took my breath away, just like she always did. Even if she was wearing a hideous hospital gown, Maren Payne was the epitome of perfect. Man, I would give anything to hold her in my arms and tell her everything was alright, to kiss her forehead and sing her anything she wanted.

Maren turned away quickly and I felt disappointment and sadness stir in the pit of my stomach. "Um, could you send Liam in now? He's probably worried as heck."

I forced a laugh. "Right. I'll see you soon." I got up and left, closing the door gently. The boys were gathered together in the corner of the waiting room. It was 2AM and no one else was in the room except for an anxious family of three. I nodded toward them and made my way over to the boys.

"How is she?" Liam asked immediately.

I shrugged. "Alright I guess."

Liam started to get up but Zayn pulled him back. "Wait a sec, Li, we need you." I realized they were all gathered around a laptop. They were on Twitter.

"Why are you guys tweeting at 2AM?" I demanded, squinting at the brightness of the screen.

"We're not. We're on Maren's account." Harry informed me as I knelt down beside them.

"Why?"

"We're changing her pass code." Louis said, glancing at me. "You're a mess by the way."

"Yeah, thanks, Lou."

"Anytime, Nialler."

"But why?" I asked.

"She can't know about all of this yet. I mean look at her tweets," Zayn scooted over so I could get a better look.

@MarenPayne 1 week ago: Never ever let @Harry_Styles make you a milkshake because bad things can happen to your kitchen pic.twitter/1234MDkl00

@MarenPayne 2 weeks ago: I had a great time in theUS! Hopefully @NiallOfficial will let me have the window seat on the flight bck (;

@MarenPayne 3 weeks ago: Shopping in the US is fantastic! @Real_Liam_Payne might have to cut me off haha

@MarenPayne 1 month ago: Girls nite out w/ @LizzieCorgan & @EleanorJCalder!

@MarenPayne 1 month ago: Great performance @onedirection! xx

I bit my lip and nodded, feeling the boys' eyes on me. They were right. Maren's Twitter might give too much away too soon. "And we're also changing her Facebook, Tumblr, and Instagram passwords too. That's why Li, you can't leave yet." Louis said.

"I don't know her Tumblr password though..." Liam mumbled.

"Well, just guess. You hacked into her Twitter." Harry said.

"Hey! Don't use that word, hacked." Liam protested.

I stood up from my knees and let the boys figure out Maren's passwords to all of her social networks. Sighing, I went on Twitter and followed some fans. I loved how crazy and ecstatic they got.

Scrolling down my mentions, one caught my eye.

@AnneliseMiller 8 hours ago: @NiallOfficial Hi Niall, I really hope Maren is feeling ok! Heard about her accident xx

I sighed again and ran my hand though my hair. I decided to tweet her back, what was the harm in tweeting a fan?

@NiallOfficial 45 sec ago: @AnneliseMiller She's doing better thanx for asking

The next half an hour I spent tweeting this Annelise Miller, taking my mind off of Maren for the first time in days.