Chapter Eight

A/N if you couldn't already tell, the stuff in italics are flashbacks ok hope you enjoy! comment, fan, vote xx Kellie

----------------------------------------------

LIAM

I glanced at Maren's sleeping body, smiling a little. And then I glanced further to Niall who was on his phone tweeting and whatnot. He would sneak small looks at Maren every now and then who obviously wouldn't notice but I did. I usually noticed a lot.

I shifted so I was facing the television comfortably again with my arm slung around my sister. My mind couldn't help but wander to memories of Niall and Maren. Honestly, when I found out they were dating I wasn't all too thrilled. I mean, what older brother wouldn't be? All older brother are protective is all I'm saying. My actions were justified, even if it was my best mate and it was Niall.

What time was it again? I checked my brand new watch that my mum and dad had given me. Nearly midnight. Where the bloody heck (yes I meant heck) was Maren? It was practically her first date. Ever. Mum and dad told me not worry about Maren, that she had sense and that I should get some sleep. But no, I stayed up waiting for her.

I saw car lights pull up at our driveway. Finally. Oh wait, I couldn't be creepy. Maren would kill me if I acted like a creepy, stalker-ish older brother but you can't help what you are.

"I had a great time tonight." I heard Maren say as she and her date walked to the porch. I didn't even know who her date was. Maren wouldn't tell me. I wanted to find out though, hunt that boy down and make sure he wouldn't hurt Maren.

"Me too," came the voice. It sounded quite familiar. Maybe he was over one time for a party or something?

"God, if Liam saw us together he'd go mental." Maren said.

Why? My brow furrowed as I crept a little closer to get a better look at the mystery date.

"That's why he can't know. I really like you, Maren."

Now I was curious and irritated. Why couldn't I know? Who had the right?

That was when I saw them together. He was leaning in for a kiss and Maren was letting him.

The "he" was Dominic Castononi. I glared. Ages ago, he had the one who had bullied one. Ages ago, he was the reason why I took up boxing lessons.

"Liam, can we just end it now?" Zayn whispered hoarsely. I rolled my eyes. I knew the lads weren't all too fond of animated movies, probably Monsters Inc. because Maren practically watched it every day.

I sighed. "Alright. But quietly and not too loud."

Harry shrugged and shut the movie off. The boys cleared out and I shifted Maren off of my shoulder and onto the soft leather sofa. I stood up and stretched. Niall stayed where he was, his hand skimming the kernels of popcorn.

"You okay, mate?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Better but the same."

I sat at the arm of his side of the sofa. "She'll get better."

Niall didn't meet my eyes. "And if she doesn't?"

It was my turn to shrug. I didn't have all of the answers in life. "Then she doesn't."

"I just want her back, Li, I just want her to be mine." His voice was a soft whisper, unsure and wavering.

"She's yours though," I bit the inside of my cheek.

"She doesn't know it." Niall laughed softly. "I'm in love with a girl who doesn't even know me. How crazy is that?"

I shook my head and threw my arm around his shoulder. "Not at all, mate. It's not crazy at all."

"Congratulations, Li!" Maren crashed into me, my arms open and my face smiling so big it hurt. "You're gonna be a big star!"

I laughed. "I only made it into the show, Mare, I didn't win it."

Her hazel eyes were lively and assuring. "But you will. I know it." Maren winked. "The X Factor Winner.... Liam James Payne!" She burst into laughter and I joined her.

--

I was nervous as I approached my family with these five guys that were now my so called band. "Hello, mum, dad, Mare, this is the band I'm in: One Direction." I said bashfully.

"Hello, I'm Niall!" The outgoing blond Irish boy stuck out his hand. He shook my parents' hands and flashed Maren a smile. I bit my lip.

"Hi, Niall," They said.

Then came Louis, Harry, and lastly Zayn. So far my parents liked them a lot as did Maren. I really wanted them to like these guys, I sure did.

"We got to go rehearse now-'' I began hurriedly.

"Oh, I want to come." Maren said excitedly and eagerly.

"Um, no, I-''

"Why not, Liam? Maren can come along, it'll be loads of fun." Harry said.

I sighed. "Alright."

"Yes! Ha, Li, in your face," Maren winked as she hurried to catch up with the other boys who were already walking.

"Take good care of your sister, Liam, she tends to be a little careless when she's around boys. Especially those boys," Mum gave me a look and I nervously laughed. Right.

Lou styled all of our hair as we got ready for our photo shoot. Zayn and Harry were dancing in the corner. What can I say, we liked to be pumped up before posing and smiling into big cameras with blinding flashes. "HIP THRUST!" Louis yelled suddenly as he joined them.

"Louis, I need to fix your hair!" Lou said impatiently as he finished Niall's blond quiff.

"I NEED TO THRUST MY HIPS FIRST!" Louis declared.

Lou and I rolled our eyes. "I think you're all done, Liam. You barely have any hair anyway." Lou told me.

I laughed. "Good point." I got dressed and hummed a song I heard on the radio. Niall was having trouble with his tie thing so I walked over and helped him.

"Aye, Nialler," I said.

"Aye, Liam," He said.

For the past few days, Maren hung around us and we tried to keep conversation relatively normal. Some things she would remember and some things were lost somewhere in her brain. I knew for a fact though, that they existed. Her face would scrunch up (her thinking face) and she tried to rack her brain for the memories. Maren was trying, I knew that.

Her petite figure was curled in the corner on a love seat, reading intensely.

"So, um, how's Danielle?" Niall asked after I finished tying his tie thing (it was a cross between a tie and a ribbon-like thing?).

"Good. I haven't spoken to her properly since...erm," I shifted on my Converse. I was trying my best not to bring Maren and her accident into the conversation. But honestly for the past few days, all of our lives basically revolved around that.

"Yeah... You know, I think it'd be nice to do a Livestream chat like we used to, eh?" Niall said after awhile. I grinned at him. That was the old Niall's spirit. I wanted to encourage it.

"Definitely. Later on, alright?" I clapped him on the shoulder before joining the other boys by the photographer who was telling us the plan for the day.

Soon things would go back to normal. I mean, they had to right? Maren couldn't have lost her memory forever... right?