Chapter Twenty

MAREN

Obviously, I didn't remember the last time I flew by myself before. So I was freaking out. God, I was so impulsive. Surely if I told Liam he'd be okay with me going back home for awhile. But I didn't out of complete urgency. I couldn't take it anymore. I was done trying to remember.

Mum had already told me she would meet me at the luggage claim when I got back so that was the only reassuring thing. I had my luggage checked in and everything so I simply found my gate and found a seat in one of the many vacant chairs.

The other passengers were mostly older men, traveling for business I presumed.

My mind kept wandering, thinking about how everyone was back home. I would definitely miss all the guys in Liam's band. I'd gotten to know all of them well and we were all good friends. But there was something missing. That block in my mind that didn't allow me to remember how things were before. Was I nicer to Harry? Did I like Louis' jokes? Were Zayn and I closer?

It was mostly Niall though.

He looked hurt and confused when I broke up with him. I honestly thought he'd be relieved, not having to tote me along when there were plenty of other eligible girls that didn't have all this baggage. Didn't that make his life easier, being done with me? Then again I didn't even know what I was doing.

I apparently loved this guy and I could've given it a chance but I didn't. Like I said, I'm too impulsive for my own good. Maybe there were things I could've done differently, like not being too active. I could've just gone with it and seen were it went, but I didn't.

It was too late now. I made my decision.

I really wondered though, if I decided to stay, how things would've gone. Would Niall and I get back together? It always came down to Niall. As much as he was a stranger, we had this complicated past that I didn't remember. But I wanted too.

I wanted to experience what had happened before my accident, get to know him, and get to know us.

Then again, there was no point in dwelling in the past. As much as I wanted too, I couldn't.

NIALL

Of course, there was traffic even at three in the morning. I impatiently tapped my foot as we tried to get close enough to the airport entrance. Liam noticed my stature. "Niall, go and find Maren. I'll meet you somewhere hopefully."

I gave him a grateful glance and dashed off, dodging slow moving people towing luggage. I ran to the nearest airport worker. "What's the next flight leaving for Wolverhampton airport?" I asked. "It's urgent."

She had a pasty pale face with bright blue eye shadow and dark pink lipstick. "You're Niall Horan!" She gasped.

I nodded. "Yeah, hi, I'm in a bit of a rush. Please?"

She snapped her gum and quickly typed something on her computer. "Gate 39, to your left."

"Thanks so much," I said and hurried off.

I wasn't missing my last chance to tell her goodbye. I wouldn't let her go without a goodbye. After all we've been through, I just couldn't.

Even if she never left a note and up and went during the night, it wasn't like I could drop everything, as much as I wanted to, to go and look for her. I had a job I was committed to. But I also wasn't going to let the girl I loved get away so quickly.

I heard yells in the distance about screaming they saw Niall from One Direction, but I didn't care. I only had Maren on my mind. She had been on my mind constantly since we broke up; then again she was always on my mind.

When I reached Gate 39, I ran my fingers through my hair as I saw the last of the passengers boarding and the airport workers closing up the entrance. I had missed my last chance.

I let her go.

I blinked twice and turned to my left.

Maren was standing, purple luggage in hand, right there.

She didn't leave. She stayed.

But why?

I didn't care because in that moment, I ran up to her and scooped her in my arms holding her close. I breathed in her lemony scent and twirled her around feeling her small arms wrapping around my waist.

When I let go, she had small tears streaming down her face.

"You stayed." I found the strength to murmur.

"I did." Maren said quietly.

"Why?"

I cupped her face in my hands and wiped the tears sliding from her face away with my thumbs.

She wrapped her hands around mine and smiled at me. I swear I had seen a spark of the old Maren.

"For a second chance."

----------------------------------------------

A/N This is the last for reals chapter and then the epilogue and then the end ahhhh! I'm so proud of this (: Next I'll be finishing These Little Things and my ones on hold before I publish new fanfics, mkay? Love ya <33

xx Kellie