eremophobia

eremophobia- the fear of being lonely

-

"what time is it?" jay asked, as the two unbuckled their seatbelts. they had arrived and parked outside the pharmacy. the sun had already set, and while both were tired, they were determined to find answers.

"7:54, why?" hailey asked, checking her phone. she jumped out the car, and walked over to jay's side.

he locked the car door, before responding. "they close at 8."

"let's make this quick then."

-

the two walked into the pharmacy, where they met a young girl currently working the register. she was wiping down her station, but looked up once she saw hailey and jay.

"so sorry guys, we're actually closing. if-"

she paused herself when jay lifted up the corner of his shirt, revealing his police badge.

"cpd, where can we find sam marcos?" hailey asked.

"is this about that thing that happened the other week?" the young lady asked.

"you know something?" jay asked, assuming she was speaking about the murder.

"no, i was on vacation. i didn't clock in that day, or the next." she defended herself.

"you have an alibi?" hailey asked.

"sam knows, and we have a digital login system." she explained, pulling it up quickly. the log shows for the entire week, "i also have photos if you need them."

"we're good." hailey answered. she reached into her back pocket, and pulled out her card. "you find out anything else, give us a call. what's your name?"

"naomi. naomi williams. his office is down that aisle, to your right."

"thank you naomi." jay said, him and hailey walking away from the register.

they followed her directions down to his office, where jay knocked on sam's office.

"sam demarcos, chicago pd!" he yelled through the door.

just a few seconds later, sam opened up the door. "hello?" he answered.

"detective halstead, detective upton." jay introduced the two, before quickly changing the suspect.

 "nice to meet you both." he replied, inviting both officers into his office. "how can i help you?"

"a few friends of ours stopped by to get some tapes from the day dr. vinetti was murdered, but you weren't here. mind if we have a look now?" hailey asked.

"i can pull them up, but the cameras were covered with something. clearly, the person knew what they were doing." sam turned to his computer, and started typing information in.

eventually, a video came up on the screen, and  confirmed what they'd been hearing all along. the video was blacked out, covered with what look like black tape.

something didn't add up to hailey. "mind if i take a look?" she spoke up, stepping closer to the computer.

"hailey." jay pulled her back. she turned to him in confusion. "we don't have a warrant."

she sighed knowing he was right. "thanks for cooperating, mr.marcos." 

she walked out in a huff, jay reaching into his pocket, before trailing behind her. he handed mr.marcos a card. "give us a call if things change."

he followed her out of the store, where the two hopped into the car.

hailey slumped into her seat, and jay looked over from the drivers side.

he reached out his hand, and placed it on her shoulder in pity.

"it's okay. we'll talk to voight, see what we can do."

she rested her head on his hand. "yeah."

jay picked up his phone, and began updating voight on the situation.

hailey was looking out the window, when she felt her phone vibrate from her pocket.

she pulled it out to see she had one text, from her mom

mom

just heard about spencer. how's he doing?

she sighed to herself, knowing her mom had put her in a tough position. ultimately, she shut off her phone, and looked over to jay.

"voight says we can pick it up tomorrow. everyone's already gone home."

she nodded, as he started the car engine.

"you wanna order in?" he asked her.

"oh, please." she responded, looking over at him. "i'm literally in the mood for anything."

he laughed at her comment. he handed her his phone, so she could order food. "go nuts."

—-

hailey had decided on greek food, but jay wasn't going to argue. he wouldn't say no to greek food any day of the week. it had also been a tough day for hailey, and he wanted to do everything in his power to make her feel better.

"you haven't gotten sick of greek food yet?" she asked, looking over to him from the  couch.

"nope." he replied simply, sitting on the kitchen counter. "i don't think i ever will."

she chuckled at his comment, before pausing briefly. things were obviously a bit tense between the two, and she couldn't let time pass before clearing the air.

"i'm sorry for snapping at you earlier." she exhaled sharply, jay turning his head to look at her.

"don't be." he clarified. "you're going through something."

"that's not an excuse." she cut him off.

she sighed before continuing. "i feel like you're always trying to help me..and i always just end up pushing you away."

"hailey.." he started, sitting next to her on the couch. "you do not have to feel bad, and you are not pushing me away."

"yeah, but-"

he placed his hand on the side of her face, moving her hair out of the way. "i love you, okay? i love you, for you, that's it."

she leaned into his touch, and pulled him in for a hug.

"thank you."