Sundered

Chapter Fifteen - Sundered

Song: One Day - Hans Zimmer

"I must, then, repeat continually that we are forever sundered - and yet, while I breathe and think, I must love him.'

― Charlotte Brontë in Jane Eyre

A    Z    R    I    E    L

If Azriel had thought Gwyneth Berdara was at her most radiant in her leathers with her hair braided back, then he'd obviously forgotten about when he'd watched her lead her group during the Blood Rite Qualifier.

Just as before, she pushed the Illyrian females she trained hard. But it wasn't without reward. Every time they executed a Valkyrie maneuver incorrectly she was there with a critique, then a gentle pat on the shoulder and an encouraging smile.

When they'd first arrived, the Illyrian females had been apprehensive of the General of Bloodshed and the Shadowsinger. They'd been even more apprehensive at the sight of the Valkyries, and more than a little cautious when the trio had approached and asked if they could train together, casting worried glances at the few Illyrian males who had remained at the war-camp to spar in spite of their presence. Likely worried about incurring their wrath.

Luckily, Odus was nowhere to be seen.

But then Kira had stepped forward and offered Emerie her hand, welcoming her back and asking the eldest Archeron if she would mind having her ass handed to her this time around.

The next thing Azriel knew, the Illyrian females and Valkyries were exchanging hesitant laughter. Then, mere moments later, each Valkyrie had split off into a small group of their own where they'd begun training together.

Nesta was training her group with long swords. Emerie was demonstrating masterful knife throwing. Gwyn was teaching her lot how to properly hold a dagger. Meanwhile, Cassian and Azriel kept a watchful eye on the lingering Illyrian males who they caught casting surreptitious glances in their direction. Azriel's shadows imparted that for the most part, the male warriors were curious. There were a fair few, however, who were suspicious.

Upon informing Cassian of this, the general had suggested they each take turns doing a sweep of the war-camp's perimeter, including the surrounding woods. If not to seek out trouble then to at least forewarn the males that the Valkyries and Illyrian females were under their protection. The High Lord's general and spymaster.

While Cassian retreated towards the tree-line, Azriel visited each group.

Nesta and Kira were sparring – the former explaining to the other females each of her maneuvers. They watched in awe of Lady Death as she swept across the grass on one knee, then stood up to put her dull blade at the back of Kira's neck.

He moved on to Emerie next who stood behind a petite Illyrian with clipped wings and cropped hair. The Illyrian trainee flicked her wrist and the blade missed the straw-stuffed target by a mile. She frowned.

"It takes a lot of practice," Emerie explained with a shrug. "Especially if your wings are clipped," she said casually. "It's about finding balance in your core, and if you've got no control of the adjustment of your wings then you've got to accommodate for it with your footing." Emerie gestured to her audience. "You can always bind your wings to create better balance for yourself as I see most of you have done. But you won't always have the opportunity to do so when you're being attacked. I like to practice with them bound and unbound."