fourteen.

we entered the house full of music and people. it was the last week of may, almost the end of the second semester. lot of students were already preparing for the exams to come and it was a perfect time to make a small party on a saturday afternoon.

me and minji were invited along with some people from kim bora's class (a classmate of minji).

bora had a rich family so she could afford a party for her and her friends when her parents were out of town. it wasn't that often but everyone hoped they could be invited.

and i was on the list too this time. it was probably because minji and bora were pretty close so she didn't mind to have me on her party.

"hi, long time no see," we heard behind us as soon as we entered, our fingers intertwined.

"you shouldn't have invited me then when you don't want to see me," joked minji when bora came to greet us. "hi, human."

"i see it was a mistake," bora laughed and handed us a bottle of sprite. "take this before you think about something stronger. and enjoy yourselves."

"thanks, see you around."

she disappeared in a split of seconds and we were left alone in the room full of people.

"i'm so glad i could take you with me," said minji and laid her hand on my shoulder. "to be honest, the people she invited last time were unbelievably boring."

"i don't know much people here," i pointed out.

"don't worry, you can talk to me and some of my friends. look, there's shuhua. i think you'll like her, she's funny."

"not more than you," i commented and let her lead me to the group of girls.

we all hit it off from the very start and i soon felt comfortable talking to them. minji knew what friends to choose, they were all so sweet, especially shuhua and soyeon, they made me laugh a lot.

"i'll go for something to drink," i informed minji when shuhua was about to share another of her funny stories.

"okay, go ahead, i'll join you soon," minji whispered before giving shuhua her whole attention.

i went to the table for a drink. i could tell there was a lot to choose from. original coke, vodka, and ice coffee was included too.

so i picked the one and only monster energy and with a loud crunch i opened it. i started drinking while scanning the room. i noticed some of the people who were on the same elementary school as me, including handong, bora's close friend. but one person who was staying in the corner had a really familiar hair and when she turned around, i waved in surprise.

"yoohyeon," i greeted her. "what are you doing here?"

"as you see, i was invited too," she smiled shyly.

"why didn't you tell us before?"

"oh, that," yoohyeon chuckled. "bora called me this morning that she can invite one more person. and that was me."

"cool! i'm so happy to see you. minji is talking to her friends and i'm about to join them. will you come with me?" i asked excitedly.

"yes, why not but i need to find a very specific person that could come along." yoohyeon searched in the crowd but the person was nowhere to see. "aish, this girl. once she disappears, even the greatest detective can't find her. wait here, i'll be back soon."

she left and i focused on my drink again. the world was suddenly so beautiful. only a bit of sugar and caffeine and you feel like flying.

as i was finishing the can, someone tapped on my back and i was so surprised i almost breathed the drink in my lungs.

"i'm so sorry, i didn't mean to," giggled minji. it must've been hilarious from her point of view. "i came here just to tell you that we're going outside for a short walk, we'll be right back."

"oh, okay," i said. "well, yoohyeon is here too so after you guys come back, we can hang out together."

"really? bora didn't mention that. but that's amazing, i'm so happy to hear that. so, see you soon."

i waved and watched how minji disappeared in the hall. suddenly a sad feeling visited me, i was left alone. i assumed that yoohyeon was still searching so i didn't hope to see her anytime soon.

"alone? why?"

"today is full of surprises, i thought christmas is still too distant."

it was yubin. i didn't know how she out of nowhere appeared by my side, on this rather stranger party. but i was glad she was there. i had now someone to talk to and most importantly, a really good friend next to me.

"i was invited together with yoohyeon," she explained. "and there was no time to tell you because you were in a hurry to go to minji's. i didn't have the chance to tell you anything."

"it's okay," i smiled and offered her the small amount of monster energy left in my can. which she refused. "i'm so happy you're here," i added honestly. "hope you won't leave me now."

"only if you'll stay with me as well."

"are you kidding me? why would i do that?" i finished my drink and threw the can against the wall. it made a loud sound but nobody noticed since they all were too busy to pay attention.

"you always leave me alone in the apartment, that's what i'm trying to say."

that was the moment she started a topic i didn't feel comfortable talking about.

"i know but i have someone to take care of," i tried to defend myself.

"aren't you the one that must be taken care of?" yubin asked. she put me on the spot and i was well aware of the situation i couldn't run from.

"minji is my girl, it's understandable i'm spending my free time with her."

"so you leave your friends behind?"

i had nothing to say, i felt guilty. but for what? i didn't do anything wrong. we still spent our lunch breaks and afternoon after school walks together.

"and am i not your girl too?"