Chapter Eight

If there is one thing that will never loose its shine, it is a diamond, and the Marchioness of Grimmauld Place has proven herself a true diamond indeed. Three years into the Marriage Market and an engagement stopped before wedding preparations would come, Lady Carina Black has proven herself to be the ton's most desirable after she has been seen dancing twice with two men. For those who have not been in attendance in the Goldstein Ball have missed a scandalous scene indeed. It is no secret that Mr. Cedric Diggory has been seen courting the heiress of the duke, but it seems that old flames were ignited once again when the Lady Black has accepted to dance with the Duke of Danu to two dances – and has even rejected an offer made by her primary suitor.

It is known that during the Deputy Headmistress, McGonagall's Ball that the sudden reappearance of the young duke of magical Highlands has come back from his year-long departure to "explore the world". As much as he and his companion, Roman Alston, claims that is merely an innocent travel to see the world, we all know the drama that took place behind closed doors. And Cedric Diggory is no exception, as he has showed no sign of letting the Duke outshine him by boldly kissing the Marchioness' hand before he steps back... but it does not stop there, as the so-called old friends shared a dance, the duke has expressed his own affection by caressing the Marchioness' cheek and chin!

It seems that the dear Lady Black does have a good eye for men, not just in terms of looks but also in terms of rank –

A growl emitted from the deepest part of her body as Carina crumpled the page of The Daily Prophet and threw it into the fire. Her uncle did not protest when she did so – even when he was not finished reading the paper. She paced around the room, hands twitching as it balled to a fist and opened as she tried to find something to calm her. Snuffles the dog has tried to woo his new master but she was too blinded by rage and ignored the dog that has bitten the hem of her skirt and dragging her to wherever he wanted her to go to.

"Stressing about this will not help," Regulus finally spoke. "I suggest you calm yourself before we head to the picknick with the Diggorys."

"That bloody bastard!" Carina grabbed a pillow and threw it at the couch. "He knew what he was doing!"

"You have no one to blame but yourself," Walburga spoke. "Honestly, child, you know that the entire ton knows of your relation with that boy – rather, the history you both have – and you accept his offer of a dance twice, completely ignoring and rejecting your intended."

"Cedric and I are not engaged, so please stop referring to him as my intended!"

"Can you at least tell me what it was that ran through your mind that had you accept the duke's offer to a dance?"

"He asked, and it would only cause a problem if I objected when there was no one in my card –"

"I meant for a second dance."

She opened her mouth to say something but thought otherwise as she remembered what Theodore told her last night, and what was at stake if she were to tell anyone, especially her grandmother. Walburga Black was a gossip, even if she tells them otherwise, and the woman has been open with the opinion that she does not like her one bit, and it does not help that Walburga has been frequently visiting her brother, Cygnus Black. If her grandmother learns or finds something about Theodore's plan that she was now part of, it could blow up everything now...

As much as Carina wanted to think that her grandmother would support her to be the head of the family to keep the woman's lifestyle and power, she now has her doubts as the Black family has been known for one thing for the past centuries it has been established... Toujours Pur. Always Pure.