Take a Day

D1 was a young woman only a year or two Albert's senior who entered the deepest metros three years ago. She had a very specific goal in mind as she wandered the rails, blasting any sanitized Octarians that got in her way, passing trial after trial as she approached her goal.

But her mission became more complicated when she heard the sound of rattling on the train. She suspected some sanitized goons had gotten on to try to dispose of her. She grabbed her Splatroller, covered in pink ink, and readied herself for battle against the seemingly undead foe.

However, to her shock, when the doors to her car opened there wasn't any enemy, just a scared Octarian man, trembling, holding a broken Inkbrush.

She lowered her weapon, and the two stood there for a moment or two, baffled at the other's existence in this hostile, train-filled Hell.

She reached out to him, but he swung his broken brush at her, splattering the car with blue ink.

"Easy easy!" She insisted, "I'm a friend! I'm not going to hurt you."

She reached out to him, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder, but didn't pull away. He felt an ease in this moment, the comfort of companionship. Something he had not felt in a long time.

"See?" The Octoling smiled, "Friend. You know Octarian right?"

The man nodded, "I'm... Albert."

D1 offered him a seat beside her, which he hesitantly accepted. She asked him, jokingly, "Heh, why so tense? Never been friends with a famous DJ before?"

"Not exactly a lot of music around here," Albert shook his head, "Haven't heard any at least."

"How long have you been down here?" D1 asked.

"As long as I can remember," Albert shrugged, "You're the first one I've met that's still... well... not one of those poor souls.

D1 looked at Albert in shock, "Wait so you've never heard music?"

Albert shook his head.

D1 placed a pair of headphones on Albert's head, "Here! This is a track I'm working on. I call it #0! I don't have the name finished but the song's good to go!"

Albert began to listen and instantly got lost in the music.

"What do you think Albert?" D1 inquired. Albert was too lost in the music to reply.

"Albert?" She asked. "Albert. Albert!"

"Albert, wake up!" Terry called snapping Albert out from his dream of the past.

"Wuh?" Albert groaned rubbing his eyes, "What time is it?"

"It's like noon man!" Cara called, "Why were you sleeping on the roof? We were looking all over for you."

"I like the stars," Albert gave an answer that was technically true but wasn't why he was there.

"Well we're grabbing some pizza," Terry added, "Come on!"

Albert jumped down and began to walk towards a pizza stand. Terry inquired to the other two, "Do you guys have any hobbies?"

"I like to eat at various places and write up reviews," Cara replied, "Part of why I appreciate that Mr. Grizz pays well. You?"

"I've always been a big movie guy," Terry replied, "Which reminds me, that fisherman movie we watched last night was technically a remake that overhauled the original. The new one is better thematically but the old one is worth watching. You see in the original..."

Terry rambled on about the old film until they began to eat, finishing, "...and that's why you don't stick your hand in a blender!"

Albert chuckled, "Sounds crazy. We should watch it sometime!"