Toying With Their Prey

"We need to get you a real weapon," D1 reminded Albert during their time in the metro.

"This has worked so far," Albert replied sitting by her as they left their last test.

"Yeah but it's still dangerous to go in underprepared like that," D1 explained, "And I don't want you getting hurt."

D1 stuck her hand out, requesting the brush head, which Albert complied with. She examined it, "...you know sometimes for fun I would modify weapons. Maybe I could make you a custom brush. When we finish this next trial, we should take the weapons of any splatted enemies for parts, we can't use the guns themselves but we can gut them, you know?"

"Got it," Albert nodded.

The train rode along the rails for a bit, before Albert inquired, "So, how did you end up here?"

D1 tensed up, "I... was looking for something. I've become a big musician you see, but there's so much pressure. I can't create because it's like, thousands of eyes are on me, judging my every move, my every mistake. I have half a dozen unreleased songs on me, right now and I just... I hate the pressure. I heard there was something here to make it go away, so I came searching for it."

Albert assured her, "We'll find it, and then we'll escape together. Hey, maybe I can help with your music!"

D1 gave a pained smile, "Sure... together..."

The train stopped, D1 and Albert got up, D1 turned to Albert and explained, "Hey, promise me something."

Albert nodded.

"You'll get out of here, even if I can't, promise me you'll reach the surface." D1 demanded.

"I-" Albert protested.

"Promise me," she demanded more sternly.

"I promise," Albert nodded, confused as why she was asking, "But that doesn't matter. We are escaping together."

D1 hugged Albert, he was thrown into shock by this. Not in a bad way, it brought him a sense of peace and ease, something he had never felt before. The warmth of a hug, of genuine love and affection...

For the first time in his life, he felt safe.

He hugged her back, reciprocating this feeling, wanting her to feel safe too. In his mind it was a way of reassuring her they would reach the surface together, to make her feel as happy as she had for him.

"You're too sweet for your own good," D1 chuckled. She let him go, "Now let's go."

Albert nodded, his face red, "Oh. Right. Test. Uhhh... right. Right."

D1 chuckled, "You're cute when you're flustered. Come on."

The two got off the train...

Meanwhile in the present, two weeks after Albert and Terry's excursion to the clothing store, Pearl spoke to an unknown ally on her phone, "Come on! This Albert guy seems like a fun dude to spar with, and he's going after the Great Zapfish, so, it'll be good practice for you. Besides, I know you like to you with your prey..."

Pearl sneered, "Go play with him, Agent 4..."

It was supposed to be an easy battle, Cara and Albert were ripping apart the enemy gang with their forces.

"Squadron Puddle! Report!" Cara demanded into a radio.

"Left flank is secured, save for one Inkling on a rooftop. Looks to be a non combatant," one of their allies replied. "Wait. Wait! He's armed he- agh!"

"Puddle squad!" Cara yelled, "Cloud squad! Do you have a visual?"

"They're to fast!" A voice responded, "Re- retreat! They're a demon! Re-"